Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Notebook

Watched 'The Notebook' last night. What a lovely movie, based on a great Nicholas Sparks book. A classic romance with the twist of taking us to the end of the Happily Ever After.

So what makes a romance as opposed to a love story?? The bottom line IMO, is in a 'love story' one of the characters you've taken into your heart and care about, is killed off by the author. Now while this ups the emotional impact of the story, for me it ruins the overall impression of the book. I don't like reading 'love stories' because I like my happy endings.

There is enough heartache and misery in life and if I want a reality check I watch BBC World News.

5 comments:

  1. I like happy-endings, too. That's why the only complaint I had about "Gone With The Wind" was a sad ending. I just had to read the second book!
    Olga.
    http://olga-lita.bravejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, Toni, I watched Notebook last night too:) :) Beautiful story. I loved it ...and sniffled at the happily ever after end.

    Loreth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete