Sunday, May 01, 2005

Rejection

After a form rejection from Intrigue (based on the crap synopsis I moaned about it a previous post) I have been in a bit of a quandary. What do you do with a piece of work you really TARGETED for a specific line???

I have a few choices. I hope.
I'm taking an online course on how to write synopses. I also bought 3 new craft books and I'm going to spend the next few weeks studying them and writing, rereading some of my other books on craft to see what I've forgotten. Then I get to decide whether to A)revise my synopsis and plot and try querying HI again. Not an option I'd usually consider, but I think I totally FAILED to convey my book in my last synopsis and they might actually consider it if I rewrote the dang thing. B) Enter some comps where HI editors are final judges...Unfortunately I have never been lucky in contests!!! C) Rewrite toward a different line. Intimate Moments is the next closest, but it would require a total rework of the internal conflict and an upping of the emotional intensity of the book. D) Rewrite it as a Single Title stand alone book, but to sell that I'd need an agent and it is almost as difficult to get an agent as to sell a book!!! I have had some very positive feedback from agents though so maybe...

See? I just don't know quite what to do.

Anybody out there a super-dooper agent or publisher who wants to buy a romance set in the North East coast of Scotland, with a DEA hero who is afraid of water and a heroine who is haunted by her father's ghost??? Anybody???

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sorry to hear about the R - sucks, I know. I have a similar dilemma, a ms aimed for Blaze that got a big fat (form) R - also based on a crap syn. Now that I re-read the syn, I cringe and want to ask, did I seriously write that? But keep your chin up, and get cracking on those contests. Good luck with the online syn course.

    ReplyDelete