Wednesday, June 08, 2005

On-line phones

OK--I'm in moan mode again. About phones through the computer. Now please don't think this is directed at you, wonderful parents-in-law, I have better respect for my quality of life than that!!

You know those telephones where you can phone other PC's for free, no matter where in the world you are???

I have tried microphones (from kiddies toy ones to professional mics)--no good. I bought a phone that plugs into the USB jack at the front of my computer--and get my music coming down the freaking handset and then nothing on the speakers. I've made the test calls, I've adjusted the properties on the sound and audio sections in the control panel. I've basically wasted far too much energy on this bloody stuff already!!!! The next step is to take every single piece of audio equipment, get a big sack, borrow a big sledgehammer and smash the lot until I find some modicum of comfort.

OK--deep breath.

I'm giving it one last go this weekend, when I can concentrate. If it doesn't work I'm off to the neighbors and getting that hammer.

8 comments:

New_Friend said...

Perhaps when they say the PC can phone peer to peer with another PC that’s exactly what they mean … the PCs can talk not you. your mike and head set may be doing nothing but what ever little demons make the infernal PC work are having a good old natter about the size of their hard drive and us human operators…nothing

New_Friend said...

ps half way through book

Toni Anderson said...

Wow-fast reader!! Are you enjoying it? I am still waiting on the library.
Yeah the monsters in the machine are laughing their behinds off at me!!!

New_Friend said...

very slow reader but had a couple of days not working will put blog up about it

Kim said...

HEY! Thanks for telling me. I thought about getting that so I could talk to all my international friends. But I think I'll pass ;)

Toni Anderson said...

Kim--It works easily for some poeple--LOL. Just not me, not yet!!!!

New Friend. Are you a roofer? Sheesh...typical!!! I had a job for you a few weeks ago but it is done now!! Flat roofs are a PITA!!!!

New_Friend said...

Slating tiling and leading, not flat roofing. But I think you are a little outside my range anyway.

Toni Anderson said...

They have nothing but shingles over here...sounds painful :) Although my husband is envious of metal roofs. I'm not sure why. I guess the commute would have been a little far!!!!