Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Coward

I have just discovered I'm a coward.

Funny because I thought I was pretty brave. I've had two babies. That was brave. After all having experienced childbirth, I knew what I was facing the second time round. Squeezing a football out of the top of a pop-bottle comes to mind. Blinding pain, one minute on, one minute off, for 6 hours. And drugs, pah. Dimorphine/heroin? It was like brushing a nail file over a nine inch nail of pain. It had little effect on me and I wonder what the heck all the is fuss about.

I've been in the wild with black bears. Had horses bolt on me, had horses lie down and try to roll on me. I've flown around the world, pregnant and with small kids. Traveled through Singapore Airport at the height of the SARS scare. I've swum on the Great Barrier Reef knowing sharks were around because we'd seen them earlier when we'd been in the submersible. Taken boat trips on crocodile infested waters. I've changed a flat tire on the M6 motorway. I've been in a helicopter with a depressed and slightly mad pilot. I've been at the top of the CN-tower and the Eiffel tower and never blinked. And I live in a place where temperature extreme is about as fierce as it can be.

But I couldn't climb up a ladder yesterday. LOL.

DH is changing our guttering and needed help, but I couldn't get past the sixth or seventh rung.

I'm a coward, sorry :(

12 comments:

  1. What's worse than that? Fighting the fear and getting to the top rung only to find the daddy of all spiders there!!! Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn’t fancy the child birth but ladders no problem

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladders freak me out, so I don't blame you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think ladders might be a guy thing. At least that's what I'm hoping :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're very brave. I have severe acrophobia, so girl, I'd be right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:02 am

    sorry Toni , definitely not a guy thing.....your FIL can't cope with ladders!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dont know about the ladder but child birth is definatly a girl thing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I'm in good company. Childbirth is definately a girl thing. Not for the fainthearted. I nearly punched dh during the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Childbirth is not for the faint of heart (i.e. men). *grin*
    And Toni, after reading all the stuff you've been through, you're definitely NOT a coward. You just don't want to fall off and break your leg on a rickety ol' ladder. Right??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can climb up a ladder, I just can't climb down. It's a bit of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary--my knees just kept getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete