Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Rejection

I got a rejection letter from an agent yesterday--one I'd actually forgotten I'd written to (and I have them all noted down on file normally). Anyway, this was the least encouraging response I'd received so far, BUT she did take the time to write a personal reply and that was worth a lot.

So I was down again, thinking I should get a real job, earn some money to put into the family funds, rather than emptying the coffers. Seriously--people think writers earn a fortune when they get published (not true), but how do you take into account the years of unpaid work (late nights, missed social events, gruelling intense effort?).

Then DH got home and he was so encouraging, so wonderfully supportive. How hard is it for him to keep going to work, never knowing if I'll ever actually earn money again? When we got married I was the main breadwinner, I was the one with the big career plans. Amazing how things can change...

8 comments:

  1. you still have big plans to be a wrighter. sorry for your disapointment but dont be down you will get there

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so nice! I hope so. I guess I'm impatient to be good enough to be published and impatient to be GOOD!! All the advice I've ever read includes ignoring rejection/or learning from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Toni, sorry about the rejection. They definitely suck. But we all have these moments of "Why the hell am I doing this?" It will pass. And your dedication will pay off. Just keep at it - and thank your lucky stars you have a supportive husband! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, hugs, Toni! Keep your spirits up! Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let it keep you down. There are more agents out there, and while you're waiting, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support. I'm hoping to meet the perfect agent--one day. But you know, an editor would be even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have big plans! And when they do pay off, they'll pay off big!

    Well, if you want, we can compare agent rejection letters. I have a butt load of them. And congrats on the personalized one, that's moving on up.

    I actually deleted a post on my blog about me searching for the perfect agent because I thought it sounded whiny.

    But I've been told, no agent is better than the wrong one. And it's just someone you don't have to give 15% to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim--I know. I have rejected some agents myself (not that they'd offered me a contract, but I knew they weren't right for me). I have a bunch of nice letters, and I'm not that bothered because I do believe it is all about timing and things that are meant-to-be, happen when they should :)

    You're right to be careful what you say on your blog regarding the profession.

    ReplyDelete