Saturday, July 09, 2005

Words

I find the fact that Brits, Canadians, Americans and Australians supposedly speak the same language-very funny. Some examples...

UK..............................N. Am
Bin.............................trash can
Rubbish.........................garbage
Pavement........................sidewalk
Road............................pavement
Boot............................trunk
Bonnett.........................hood
Jug.............................pitcher
Car park........................parking lot
Fanny...........................not going there
Bum.............................fanny/butt
Football........................soccer

So... things get a little confusing. I'm always telling my daughter to get on the pavement. I'm always sticking things in the boot. Somebody was admiring my pitchers recently and I was looking for pictures and thinking she'd gone bonkers.

In Ireland hurling is an official sport and in the Midlands cock is a form of endearment! My favourite Irish word in the world is feck. Supposedly it means 'darn', but sounds better :)

I haven't even touched on the Aussies. I can never remember if football is Aussie Rules football, or soccer, then there is rugby--league and union--I just like the cool kit.

No worries, G'day, Fair dinkum, I'm crook, Pommy (usually followed by bastard), arvo, how ya goin? Actually I think the aussies are closer to the Brits in language--they say loo, bloke, my shout (apparently), fortnight, flat out, and most importantly they know what a cuppa is :)

8 comments:

  1. my friend got off the plain in america said i could murder a fag (no smoking on plane) and got funny looks.

    scotland a girl id hen, here pet, midlands duck who knows what they call them down south...

    hope you are all well

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is Knackered and Bollocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL--yes knackered and bollocks have a good ring to them.

    Murdering a fag--God I'd forgotten!!

    My least favourite Scottish term for women--wifey. I hate that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy cow, that's a HUGE difference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to mention closet (wardrobe), diaper (nappy), pants (trousers), pacifier (dummy), vacation (holiday).... What do N Am's call mens underwear then, as we call them pants?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our US friends call their knickers "tighty - whities" !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janny--now how do you know that ????

    Pushchair (stroller), lorry (truck), tights (panty-hose).

    The differences really are amazing--see I am good at learning different languages--just not french, spanish, german etc etc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. apples and pairs (stairs)

    the lift (elevator)

    I once met a Brit when I lived in Oregon who couldn't figure out why the restaurant staff types in the US were giving him funny looks when he said, "nice try" which I understand is actually a compliment in the UK.

    ReplyDelete