Monday, August 22, 2005

Memories

My kids are going nuts upstairs and I'm letting them play. When I got up this morning I noticed it was much cooler and some of the leaves had started to turn. It is only August!!!

When I was young, August was hot, so was September. I remember sitting in class in September with the sun burning through the big glass windows straight onto my poor tortured body. Actually I loved school. Really loved it. I wonder how I would have got on if somebody--just one person during my whole education--had actually noticed I was as blind as a bat and couldn't read the blackboard from where I sat near the back of the class. There was no way I was volunteering that info and ending up with National Health style specs. No way I could have coped with that emotionally aged 11. So instead I would copy the notes of whoever sat beside me. I also have this problem where I can't see a word when somebody spells it out. People are always spelling words out, but unless I mentally write them down inside my head it is nothing but gibberish.

So imagine what I could have achieved if things had been different and someone had noticed I struggled with the odd thing...but maybe I wouldn't have had so much fun :)

6 comments:

  1. It's weird, but the weather is changing here already, which is annoying because I feel like winter stayed so late I got totally and completely ripped off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--you can feel the difference in the nights!!! Freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm that explains a lot - what are you like!! Maybe you would have enjoyed Miss W in maths more, maybe you would have been able to read the tomato sauce bottle label and spotted the bean bag before they went on the fire.... kinda think that wasn't down to myopia though, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Deb--shut up or die :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're just jealous cos I was the model pupil... or have I been dreaming again!! Off to Spain tomorrow, 'speak' soon. xx

    ReplyDelete