Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Reno

What did I learn from my conference???

Note it took me a while to get to this post. The artist in me likes to absorb things, information, images, emotions and the scientist in me likes to analyze them.

I learned that if I want to succeed as a writer I need to focus. Just because I fancy writing an historical romance, doesn't mean I should just do it.
I am focusing on writing a book that Harlequin Intrigue or Silhouette Intimate Moments might buy. After that I want to write another, and another until I can do it with speed and style. I do want to write a mystery/romance. Wouldn't that be fun, some old fashioned whodunit with some modern day sexiness? But I have a publisher in mind for that...see I am focusing :)

I learned that I don't necessarily like everybody in the business. That was a shocker because I have found very few people in my life who I don't like. I figure you need to surround yourself with likeable souls you can work/play with and let the rest get on with their own lives.

I learned you could probably screw your career with some misplaced comment or badly thought out rant. Though I am quiet I tend to speak my mind. I don't want to sell my soul for a contract, but I think storing away details rather than just bitching could be worth a lot in the long run.

I learned that like everywhere else politics is alive and well in the Romance Writers of America. LOL. Shame.

13 comments:

  1. Nice post and so true. We have to be extra careful with eyes on us as authors. And I've heard lots of people do NOT like each other in this business too! Well, it shocked me! BUT I guess it's like every other career. Not everyone gets along.

    Sad though, we should all support each other in this tough business. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toni
    I had to check out your blog when I saw the Winnipeg in your signature.

    I'm heading to Winnipeg in a couple of weeks. Lived there for 16 years and my parents are still in good old St. James.

    You should come to the Calgary Conference next year. We had a great small intimate conference last Nov. It was awesome. Lots of requests from Hilary Sares, Monique Patterson and Stacy Boyd.

    Plus (for the most part) we all got along great!!

    Janet G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:22 pm

    Interesting blog……Franklin
    ==
    If interested, please visit my signs of prostate cancer blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:30 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet, I've only been here 1 year so it is still a novelty to think about driving to Calgary!!! I will definitely think about it as I can't afford Atlanta :)

    Maybe my friend Meretta will put me up!! Although I think it is a way from Cold Lake!!

    Hope you have fun in Winnipeg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:11 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it possible I am getting blogspam???

    Hmmm... what to do ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:49 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm being spammed!! Anyone know how to avoid spammers???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some really good points, and I LOVE your comments about surrounding yourself with likeable people - that was a hard lesson for me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you have learnt so much you must become a great success in writing. hope you get oublished soon.
    as for spam, how can you get spam on comments ????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jill!! I saw Gena's doll BTW!!

    New_friend, thanks, maybe I'm just paranoid :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd certainly say you've being spammed. Not sure how they're doing it, though.
    Great post, BTW. Especially the FOCUS part. It takes a lot in this business.

    ReplyDelete