Sunday, September 18, 2005

Winter

Winter is coming. There is a chill in the air at night--I have put the down duvet on the bed and even have to fight DH for the covers. The trees are losing their leaves and I have been wearing my trendy black gillet when I am out early in the morning. The afternoons are still nice though, when the sun is shining and the heating isn't on yet.

Today I planted bulbs, 50 odd in all. Tulips, crocus and Hyacinths (sp?). I planted them in all different beds, front and back, not knowing where they will actually survive the 5 months of snow and ice. I also planted two half barrels and hope something grows--not just dandelions :)

We got our wood order filled. Last year we had NO idea. We burnt far too much, too quickly because we just didn't know how long it should/would last--we ran out at the end of February and the snow didn't start to melt till beginning of April. Last year we only got the wood insert put into the fireplace in late October and the wood guy (Big Mek)had to crawl through the snow to find our wood (now that was what he told me and I am naive enough to believe him). This year I ordered early and he delivered 2 cords which DH has stacked up in the basement. It looks scarily enormous!!!

So I am hoping, in the contrary nature of weather, that has dogged and messed with my psyche my whole life, that this year's winter is mild with little snow.

Chances of that living in Winterpeg? I'd say 100-1 odds against.

We'll see.

9 comments:

  1. you never heard of coal over there lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're very brave for living in such cold climate! I don't know if I'd survive there - I love heat! (You know I live in southern Texas, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No coal here new_friend. Weird I know.

    Olga--yes I knew you lived in a hot zone :) Not sure I could stand your summers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're stocking up for the winter. We used to heat with wood when I was a little girl. It was sooo warm and toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss our fireplace. It was a pain and lots of work, but nothing replaces that cozy feeling of a crackling fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have gas radiators, but my family are doomsters. we were going to go for a gas insert and they said 'wouldn't it be better to have an alternative, JIC?' And they are right. The weather isn't something to endure--it is -30C for weeks on end (months possibly). And with little kids?

    So we have the wood and it is hard work sometimes (when DH doesn't do it ;0) but the satisfaction and excitement from the wood is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, love fires. Too bad they're not environmentally friendly :( ... but there's something so life-affirming about them, and the satisfaction of going out into the snow, and getting the wood, stomping the boots at the door ... I adore the romance of it all. Even love the scent of woodsmoke layered over cold air outside.

    Come to think of it ... what heating method is the most environmentally friendly??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geothermal heating and don't get me started! It is totally clean and heats and cools your house.

    I'd love to be able to afford GT!! Wood isn't a bad fuel because it is sustainable if managed properly, but does produce greenhouse gases. Solar power and wind are the only real alternatives--but seriously if you are planning on staying in your house then GT heating is a great longterm investment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're just starting to edge into fall. Still having those warm fall days (which I don't really care for). I can't wait until I can snuggle under the covers and shiver! (I know, I'm WEIRD. But we get cold weather here, too!)

    ReplyDelete