Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Dunblane

For some reason I found myself crying at my keyboard tonight. It must be all the news on TV about the schools collapsing in Pakistan after the earthquake, but it reminded me vividly of the Dunblane massacre. Kids dying in places they should be safe.

My daughter is the same age as the children the gunman shot--she's five years old. He (I won't even think his name) stood over these injured babies and shot them point-blank. I used to live in Dunblane, I had art lessons in that school, walked through the front door, wandered, lost around the gym, never realizing that 6 months later it would be the scene of carnage. I used to work at Stirling University, I knew people whose kids attended that school. One mother had just lost her husband to MS and then lost a child on that terrible day. She died later, I think she just gave up. Sixteen babies died and their teacher, with about the same number seriously injured.

It tore the town apart. Believe it or not, there was resentment of the people who got compensation from the appeal. Resentment of people who got money to replace babies.

I've been to that churchyard, they have a gorgeous cathedral in Dunblane, totally at odds with the size of the town. But the graves are heartbreaking. I pray as a mother, that my children never go through that. I pray I can keep them safe always.

It'll be ten years, next March.

6 comments:

  1. Truly horrid and unforgivable to have lost these poor children to the senseless acts of deranged minds. Children are so precious, but yet so vulnerable. My mother's heart aches and prays along with yours, Toni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely horrible. I admit to not knowing a lot about it - must not have had a lot of news in the states - so I looked it up. Simply beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mother's worst nightmare. I vaguelly remember hearing that story. Very horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mother it is unimaginable.

    As a writer you can't help wondering exactly how everybody involved felt. The power of emotions that must still reverberate throughout them with the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:42 pm

    What a great site
    »

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:34 am

    Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
    »

    ReplyDelete