Monday, October 10, 2005

Northern Lights


I have just finished Northern Lights by Nora Roberts.  I really enjoyed this book.  Maybe it is because I can relate in some way to the temperatures her characters experience in Alaska.  I can relate to snow and ice, even though I’m not far from being a lower 48er myself (now).  I have been to remote places in Canada, where sea-planes rule, where knowing a good pilot is key to quality of life.  And I have often wondered WHY people live in these places that have summers three months short, full of mosquitoes and blackflies, followed by deep, dark winters, where flesh freezes in seconds when exposed (just like Winnipeg :)).

But seeing the Northern Lights is a wondrous thing.  Me and DH watched them from our back steps in Cellardyke, Scotland.  Blues and greens shimmering across the sky like an invading army of psychedelic watercolourists gone mad.

Nora’s books go up and down—some I love, like this and Birthright, some I really can not get into, like the Key series.  I’m not expecting the diva to drop in, so I figure I can be honest, right?  But when she gets it right, when she remembers not to head-hop too much, not to get too drawn into faery-realms too deeply, she is unsurpassable at writing romance!

6 comments:

  1. I loved Northern Lights too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Nora yet. I know, I know...but I did buy one of her books and I will eventually get around to reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm one of those weird ones - I like the fairy books, in fact, Tears of the Moon is one of my favorites. But I do agree with you about how her books are up and down, one good, the next mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eve, Tears of the Moon was OK--but I loved her Chesapeake trilogy, and the Born in...series. Must try her JD Robb stuff. One of these years I'll have some down time and read the lot!!

    Melissa--you must be one of the few :)

    But we're all different and like different stuff--that is why I still have hope as a writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of Nora's work either. I fear the hype will be bigger than the actual book! I would love to see the northern lights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like JD the best. Eve and Peabody make a great team and then there's Roarke. Gotta love a man who loves his woman with all that he is.

    ReplyDelete