Monday, October 24, 2005

Pre-Xmas Goals

I'm 303 pages into editing my 417 page Single title story, Venus' Slipper. I'm going to send it to Kensington because I really liked the editors I met at the conference in Reno and they publish a broad range of fiction than may fit my story better than publishing houses with narrower restrictions/guidelines. I need to finish this by the end of the week.

Next up will be revising Storm Warning as a ST. I originally wrote it for Harlequin Intrigue, but now I want to see if I can let my characters loose for a fully fledged novel-length story. I had cut down some of the character development and now I can go back and add it into the story--including adding the bad language I know a DEA agent would really use, not to mention a real PhD student would occassionally utter :D

I need to get this done before we go to Florida--assuming the Key where we're staying, and the marine lab, hasn't been damaged by Wilma. My heart goes out to all the people who've been hit by disasters this year, quakes, waves, wind, water--the power of Mother Nature is astounding, and not to mention the famine in Africa which is going largely unnoticed. No wonder we believe in a higher power--gives us all a measure of absolution.

I'm not sure what work I'll do in Florida. I can't decide whether to take my Harlequin Presents with me, or whether to take all the craft books I have bought, and read them properly. I am working on getting my conference DVDs onto CD (something which hasn't happened yet because my burner software is a temperamental b1tch), so I can listen to them while out and about.

My daughter said, 'But you're not working in Florida, are you mommy?' And the guilt ate me up. So maybe I won't drag my old laptop down there. Maybe instead I'll try to absorb some of the teachings of others.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, take a couple of books that you've been meaning to read, then spend the rest of the time just being ... you. I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relaxing sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. But don't comletely put out the idea of writing. If you're in the mood, I say go for it! You might find that you're inspired while on vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. No working on holidays. Take some books to read, a notebook for inspiration and sit back and enjoy.

    These storms this year since the Tsunami have been unbelievable. The year of the water? What's next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A notebook sounds good. It'll be almost a single mom vacation and hard work, as DH will have to work lots and lots!! So I think minimum pressure will be good :) Beach walks and alligator hunts.

    We can go explore the Keys and if I'm brave, Miami!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent accoomplishments with your editing, Toni.

    And I advocate doing what you'd like to on your vacation. I always bring a little work with me just in case "the bug" hits, but don't feel obligated to accomplish anything. If it happens, then so be it. If not, well...no big deal.

    ReplyDelete