Saturday, October 29, 2005

RWA 2006

I have just renewed my RWA membership. This will be my third year as a member and it was a tough decision as to whether or not to rejoin, mainly because money is so tight.

Was it worth the US$ 85??

If you'd have asked me the week after the Reno conference I might have said no. Mainly because the awards dinner made me feel like I was an outsider, on the fringe of the group and that my opinions were not welcome. Then some of the fall-out from the dinner started and I realized I was far from alone--after all Jenny Crusie and Nora Roberts also spoke out against the bad taste of the ceremony.

And then I wondered what was RWA doing for me? And I realized that there was so much industry information packed between the covers of the RWR (Romance Writers Report) and on some of the loops, that I actually took that whole wealth of knowledge for granted--as if I'd always had it at my fingertips.

Bad--do not take knowledge for granted! Knowledge is power :)

And there was my Chapter--Kiss of Death (whose publicity committee I am on and who might not be pleased if I decided to suddenly take a hike, LOL).

So I rejoined RWA, though I am less ingenious than I was.

And I noticed tonight, having just packaged up a partial for Kate Duffy at Kensington, that rather than feeling the thrill of excitement about possibilities for the future, I have this flat sick feeling in my stomach. Have I lost my innocence? Or is my cold just getting the better of me? Or maybe the blocked sewer from this morning?

Not sure, but tomorrow I'm taking a time out from writing, finishing off a website and being a mom.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need some recharging, Toni. Have some fun with your family and take away some of the pressure.

    And have I ever said thanks for for donating your time and energy to KOD? If not, THANKS! Sometimes volunteers get overlooked, especially in cyberspace so I just wanted you to know the work you do is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meretta--my pleasure. I am a very small cog in a big wheel :)

    I need to get over this stupid cold and clean the house and then I can feel OK again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Toni! Kate will love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just getting tough, Toni. Don't worry about it. You'll go through the sick feeling thingie, and then the next time it'll breeze right past you. Good luck.

    Hugs,

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. The money thing is the main reason, actually the only reason, that I haven't joined. After reading your entry, I thought "why do I want to join?" Do I have to? Is it really necessary in order to make it in the romance writing world? Should I still think about joining? Toni - you've left me with a lot of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you'll feel better soon! And best of luck on the partial! As for RWA, I was also thinking whether to renew or not, but decided in favor of renewal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kendra!!

    Tanya--me tough? Finally!!!

    Eve--you don't NEED to be in it. If you know the industry/system then NO you don't need to be in it. But it is pretty good if you can stretch the pennies.

    Olga, I think it is hard to let the membership slide, feels a bit like giving up??

    Anyway, I am hoping Meretta wins the GH this year and I can get to see her on stage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had the same thoughts about rejoining RWA. After all the trouble over conference and various other things, I seriously considered not renewing my membership. But then things blow over and you start to regain your faith in people. So I'm sure that when renewal time comes up, I'll send off the check. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been a member of RWA since June, but am seriously thinking of not renewing next year. I think it's great if you live in an area where there is a chapter, but for me, I find it pretty useless. And I seriously don't think I'll ever make a conference unless they hold one in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:27 pm

    Thank you!
    [url=http://tiljcsgx.com/mgmn/pgqc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://dvimanhj.com/xsvt/xzvr.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:28 pm

    Great work!
    http://tiljcsgx.com/mgmn/pgqc.html | http://iwkltess.com/zuyc/liit.html

    ReplyDelete