Friday, October 28, 2005

Yelling!

Yesterday I spent much of the day yelling at my kids and I really hate myself for it. They like to moan--loudly, and they don't like to eat. They moan if I say 'let's go outside' on a beautiful day. They moan if I say'let's tidy up.' They both moan about going to school, though they both love playing when they get there. They moan about cycling, scooting, walking, going in the stroller. They moan about shopping, me vaccuuming, putting on coats, hats, gloves. They moan about being cold outside without hats and gloves (though not just now as the weather is beautiful again). They are little people whose first instincts are to shriek 'I don't want to' even about the good stuff.

So I yelled--feeling like a complete nutcase--and made them cry--and felt like slug slime.

How do I stop yelling and regain my nice controlled facade? Without gin that is???

10 comments:

  1. It's the midgets. It's all their fault.
    Can't really help you - sometimes I get so frustrated with mom that I raise my voice. It's human ... and gin is the only thing I can think of. They'll grow out of it? Hope today goes better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you could always be grateful it isn't whining or screaming or crying. My guy isn't talking much yet and his way of communicating is driving our household of four big people insane. Don't ya just love kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--Peggy, we have whining and crying and screaming too!!! Insanity rules!!

    Eve--I'm not feeling better, I'm feeling a lot worse. But I did finish my edits last night. Wanted to look at my overall scenes before I send it off, but may need to raise feet this afternoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry - putting your feet up does sound like a good idea. Yay on the edits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes they only understand yelling. I don't know why, but it's the kid in them :)
    You're a great mom. Don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried harder drugs? Wait, ok, I was joking. My wife goes through the same routine with our kids, but I don't have an easy answer. For me, I just bag and tag and throw them into the car seat. After a while they just know that no-nonsense daddy-o is in charge and the fight is over. Once in a while they employ guilt tactics. You're mean! That kind of thing, but overall we have a much better time without the bickering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendra--you can't help but feel you're doing it wrong!!!

    Scott--my husband gives me as much free time to write as he can at the weekend and I think he has the same method as you!!! As long as I get a break we're all happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my God! I'm not alone. I've been yelling at my kids for the past two days. They've been exceptionally bad lately, so I finally reached my breaking point. Thanks for posting this. I just did a rant on my blog about the very same thing. Badass kids who think they know everything. My kids whine. They stomp up and down the stairs. They don't listen. But I love them. LOL!

    If only I was a drinker ...

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tanya--I totally relate--and all the other moms seem so serene and peaceful, I feel like a mad woman!!

    We are not alone--yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete