Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Mouses cont.


Damn bloody effing mice!!

Yesterday, after my usual Monday hoovering around the groundfloor, I realized it was almost mouse poop free. My little heart started to soar, and my gut feeling (the one that keeps cops alive and soldiers alert) told me the problem was solved. Little did I know...

We went to bed feeling pretty pleased with ourselves, grout was drying, son was almost potty trained, mice were under control--hah!!

At 1.15 am (I seem to spend a lot of 1.15 ams awake), I heard a scartching sound. I couldn't decide if it was in the walls or in the bedroom, so I listened hard for a minute of two. Basically, this thing sounded like a remote control car zipping though the carpet at high speed with absolutely no concern for the humans above its head (makes you wonder how often the wee devil was around huh?).

I got up and turned on the light in the closet, trying not to wake a peaceably snoring DH. I failed and he demanded "What the hell are you doing?"
"I can hear something," I told him, knowing he wouldn't believe me because he thinks I am completely paranoid (And I am, though I am rarely wrong ;-))
I crawled around the floor for a second and started to laugh. The mouse was under the box that is set on casters, beneath my side of the bed. Totally unconcerned and nibbling something.
I told DH.
"Are you serious?" he asks me--as if I'd make it up??
"Yes!!"
"Well go back to sleep--what are you going to do, anyway?"
I decided to go fetch a trap from downstairs. I set it up under the bed--trying to tempt the wee mouse, and went back to bed.
DH was awake now--we heard the thing hurtling around again and finally he jumped out of bed like a mad thing, all psyched up for action. "Right, let's get the little bugger."
He tracked the mouse (following plastic bag rustles) to the top shelf of our closet, where all the Christmas pressies are hidden. How the hell did a mouse get six foot off the ground so quickly??? DH stood on a chair (and I was laughing because he looked like the old cartoon character of a woman on a chair) and he flung this thing off the shelf where it landed on the floor and started zipping around again.
Long story short--we chased that thing around our bedroom for an hour. DH cornered it, threw a towel on it, trapped in under a pile of clothes and the little monster just ran to the other side of the room.
I gave up and crawled into bed (after checking my son who was also awake). DH finally went downstairs for the second trap and stuck it in the closet. We went to bed at 3 am.

Mousetrap snapped at 3.15 am and DH (very upset) had to dispose of the still live, but fatally wounded mouse. I hate to see animals suffer--but I hate to have vermin in the bedroom!!

So that is why I'm late starting this morning. Sorry!!

And having murdered 7 innocent mice--I now feel guilty every time I see Stuart Little, Bernard & Bianca, Angelina Ballerina, Maisy, Jerry and Micky himself. Just Minnie to go.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Mouse Killer,
    Don't you just hate digital clocks because then you know EXACTLY what time you've woken up? "I woke up at 5:17 a.m." instead of somewhere between 5 and 5:30. Anyway, I woke up sick - am not getting to the post office today and may not make it out to vote although there is something I really want to vote against.
    Anyway, with a household full of cats it would be cats 1, mice 0. But I would have loved to have seen the two of you scrambling around after that poor little mouse. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! And it's good to see you're keeping your sense of humour, Toni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sense of humor ;-)

    Eve--poor you on being sick!! It is the time of year for it, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. killing spree, it will be cats and dogs next
    have you applied to work at the postoffice yet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mice over there in Manitoba are a lot more cheeky than ours! If I hear anything and quickly flick on the light, they suddenly freeze up and I cannot track them down. Usually, more alertness scares them off and I won't hear from them the remainder of the night. Flying mice? Perhaps it's not Minnie, but Mighty Mice instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New_friend...I'm thinking about it!!

    Peggy--these guys are seriously cheeky! Breed 'em hardy in the prairies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Toni, I was LOL at your post!!! Hilarious that your hubby said, "Let's get the little bugger." LMAO!!!

    But I've been where you're at. It is SOOOO frustrating to deal with those little bastards.

    I would investigate calling in a pest control company, though. There's only so much of this you can take!

    ReplyDelete