Sunday, November 13, 2005

What I Got Done (:D)


I edited two chapters on Saturday, thanks to DH taking the kids FAR AWAY!!!! Doesn't sound like much really, but I have been trying to write in Motivation-Reaction units ala Dwight Swain. It's tricky!

First you write a sentence without your character and then you write a sentence about your character.

Sounds easier than it is, but I believe the method has improved the pace of the first two chapters I have worked on. You don't have to use exactly one sentence for the M-R unit, you can have a couple as long as they work together. And I found maybe 2 paragraphs where I couldn't change what I'd written to fit in with the rules, but generally I did it. Now I might have done it wrong, but I guess no one's gonna tell me off unless I publish and then I wont care :D (OK, I'm a liar because I will care, but I'd still be published, LOL).

So I think I'm getting over a bit of a writing bump, because I now feel back in the groove, which means another chapter tomorrow night and hopefully something every night. Only two weeks till we go to Florida, so I need to push to get this done.

I'm going to post the first couple of pages of Storm Warning on Monday. You can tell me if it still reads slow, or if the pace is better. See--I'm being brave, so be nice.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting back in the groove, and that was an interesting technique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga--it is a great method from a master.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I can't wait to read it ... and you know I'll be kind.

    My English teacher once told me (when I kept getting some piece of grammar wrong - who? Me?) that when I'm published I can write any way I want to. I'm waiting for my revenge :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - congratulations on getting the writing done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the groove is back, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you're back in the groove. Your hubby is very sweet to "take the kids far away". LOL! Looking forward to reading your piece tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peggy, Cora--thank you!!! My hubby is lovely (most of the time ;-))

    Hope you like the stuff.

    ReplyDelete