Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The first day

It is almost the anniversary of my DH and I starting to go out. We'd known each other from working in the lab and he often came upstairs to borrow my pH meter. But until just after Christmas, fifteen years ago, he was forbidden fruit.

My luck changed when his then girlfriend dumped him on his birthday, just before Christmas. They'd been going out for years and I remember being warned about him being on the rebound, and to be careful and take things slow. Yeah. Sure. :D We danced at a ceilidh, DH flinging me around like a ragdoll (somethings never change), and then he asked to walk me home. I don't think he'd bargained for walking six of us girls home, or for the fact I lived about as far out of St Andrews as you could get and still be in St Andrews, but he walked me home.

And I made him coffee, that to be quite honest tasted like cat's pee, and he coped with my flatmate's dog Holly--who was the dumbest dog in history (God rest her unruly soul), and despite all the things that should have put him off me, he wasn't put off at all.

Whatever I may say about him, I'm blessed with lots of love.



I remember all that, but I don't remember the first day we met. Isn't that sad?





The First Day

by Christina Georgina Rossetti
(1830-1894)


I wish I could remember the first day,
First hour, first moment of your meeting me;
If bright or dim the season, it might be
Summer or winter for aught I can say.
So unrecorded did it slip away,
So blind was I to see and to foresee,
So dull to mark the budding of my tree
That would not blossom yet for many a May.
If only I could recollect it! Such
A day of days! I let it come and go
As traceless as a thaw of bygone snow.
It seemed to mean so little, meant so much!
If only now I could recall that touch,
First touch of hand in hand! - Did one but know!

6 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I met your DH too - in St Andrews (after a very cold night seeing your breath as you breath out - and that was in bed!!), we went to his house then you introduced me to 'Arolds' beer! He was a big huggle lovely gent then and still is now.... bless. (And you are just as lovely too - just in case you're getting jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arhh. Thanks Deb, sniff. He's good with beer! And my guest accommodation has always been topnotch ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, sounds so sweet! Love the poem. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet, Toni! I still remember the first time I saw my husband - I remember his smile, one that still makes my heart flip flop.

    I loved the image of him swinging you around on the dance floor like a rag doll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Almost Anniversary, Toni and DH! Blessings for many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poem!

    A ceilidh! I've read about those and have always wanted to see one!

    Happy First Day Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete