Saturday, January 28, 2006

Isle of May

This is where some of my action takes place--The May Isle in the Firth of Forth. I went there the summer before last and took a bunch of photos--we were living in Anstruther so I looked at this isle every morning (often as the sun rose behind it in the winter). I'd been trying to get pictures of some of the 20,000 pairs of puffins on the isle, but they move so bloody fast I thought I'd failed. Then looking at some of my photos in close-up I found 2 clear images--one bird is even carrying fish :)



The first photo is the Low Light, where I have bunked my scientists, and the second picture is the South Horn near the Chatterstanes. It can get very foggy in the Firth-even in summer and they need the foghorns for saftey.

The May Isle was incredibly important during the two World Wars, even christened the stone frigate by those people who served on her. I remember being told about a young man from Anstruther, who was eager to see the world and joined the Navy--only to be posted to the May Isle for the duration!

Careful what you wish for :) (which happens to be my heroine's motto)

7 comments:

  1. Poor lad from Anstruther! Guess he wasn't meant to be far from home.

    And I *love* the place names of Scotland. Anstruther. The Firth of Forth. Very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids were watching BBC kids TV just and 'RAVEN' was on--this broad Scotsman being Raven. Me and Gary were trying to pin him down to region, we think Lanark/Glasgow--and we were thinking about all the different UK accents. Scouser, Brummy, Jordy, Cornish, Salopian, Welsh, Scots, Irish, Manx--lots and lots and lots. Very rich, very indicative of where you come from. Must be hard for special forces to infiltrate places if other countries are like the UK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a gorgeous place! I love the pics of the birds - they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa--I love those birds too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pics! It looks and sounds so very romantic. You must miss home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures and I'm with Meretta - the names are romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sniff--yes I miss home, but Canada is home for now.

    ReplyDelete