Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Unattainable goals

I set myself something stupid today--the seemingly unattainable goal of editing my prologue and the first 5 chapts of Storm. BUT. As my DS is away in daycare today and my DD away in kindy all afternoon--just maybe I can catch up with myself.

I also reread HOT SHOT by Suzanne Brockmann--my very favoritist author in the whole wide world--and looked at escalating beats of tension. I must be cognisant of the fact that tension has to rise. If I kill somebody in some horrid fashion early on--how do I up the tension after that? It isn't just with the action either. It has to be be escalating tension between the H/h. The stakes have to go up and the ending must resolve the romance and the mystery.

OK--to work.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck - and have fun with it, if you worry about this and that it will show. Loosen up and let the words flow. Yes, upping the tension is good - Hooper does a good job of that in the Bishop books and there are multiple murders in most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On your mark, get set, GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, ooh, I know the answer to this! I use the movie "Cliffhanger" as my reference. The movie opens with that horrible scene of the woman who falls to her death. The scene was gut wrenching, had-us-on-the-edge-of-our-seats kind of scary. How could they possibly top that? They forced us to become involved in the main characters and care about them. We became invested in whether they survived or not. And while some scenes that followed were no where near as frightening, they held just as much tension because we now cared about these characters.

    P.S. Hope you enjoyed your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not there yet--but trying. Peggy, you're right. Make it personal--make us care. Yep. Yep. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I've hooked to your site- very fun. I'll be interested to check back and see how things progress with your current project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Eileen!!

    I did it!!! I feel like chanting that song the kids chant (even my 3 year old (I did it, I did it, yeah yeah yeah!!)

    It is 10.20 pm and I have worked all day. But I met my unattainable goal. Usually I am not so hard on myself, but sometimes you need to give yourself a little push :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay - snoopy dances, well as much as my sick, but better, body will allow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Eve!!!! Hope you are feeling better. Can't blog hop yet. Kids visiting and must vaccuum dog hair and crap up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember if I found your link via the Cherries or Miss Snark- but I am coming to expect the world of writing is both smaller and larger than I expected

    ReplyDelete