Friday, February 03, 2006

MOTHERS

Why I Love My Mom
from Loreth and if you haven't read her books, you should :)


Mom and Dad were watching TV when Mom said,


"I'm tired, and it's getting late. I think I'll go to bed."


She went to the kitchen to make sandwiches


for the next day's lunches. Rinsed out the popcorn


bowls, took meat out of the freezer for supper the


following evening, checked the cereal box levels, filled the


sugar container, put spoons and bowls on the table and


started the coffee pot for brewing the next morning.


She then put some wet clothes in the dryer,


put a load of clothes into the wash, ironed a shirt and


secured a loose button.


She picked up the game pieces left on the


table and put the telephone book back into the drawer.


She watered the plants, emptied a wastebasket and hung up a towel to dry.


She yawned and stretched and headed for the bedroom.


She stopped by the desk and wrot e a note to


the teacher, counted out some cash for the field trip,


and pulled a textbook out from hiding under the chair.


She signed a birthday card for a friend,


addressed and stamped the envelope and wrote a quick note


for the grocery store. She put both near her purse.


Mom then washed her face with 3 in 1 cleanser, put on her


Night Solution & age fighting moisturizer, brushed and


flossed her teeth and filed her nails.


Dad called out, "I thought you were going to bed."


"I'm on my way," she said.


She put some water into the dog's dish and


put the cat outside, then made sure the doors were


locked. She looked in on each of the kids and turned


out their bedside lamp, hung up a shirt, threw some


dirty socks in the hamper, and had a brief conversation


with the one up still doing homework.


In her own room, she set the alarm; laid


out clothing for the next day, straightened up the shoe rack.


She added three things to her 6 most important things to do list.


She said her prayers, and visualized the accomplishment of her goals.


About that time, Dad turned off the TV and


announced to no one in particular. "I'm going to bed."


And he did...


....without another thought.


Anything extraordinary here?


Wonder why women live longer...?


'CAUSE WOMEN ARE MADE FOR THE LONG HAUL...



(And we can't die sooner because we still have too many things to do!)

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic - and how true is that. My DS still managed to announce "why do I have to do everything around here" - well, he had set the table and fed the tortoise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO TRUE. I do pretty much the same routine every night. And yeah, the hubby usually just says he's going to bed and boom, his head hits the pillow and he's out. Me, OTOH, I have to check the doors to make sure they're locked and do a million other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too.
    Deb--he did feed the tortoise!!!
    Melissa, mine's the same. And the worse thing is if I don't check everything before I go to bed, some days he hasn't locked the door, turned the oven off etc. And I'm now turning obsessive compulsive doing things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually does describe my parents - except mom's beauty routine was just noxema. Everything else is pretty much on the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep! My dh gets frustrated by all the stuff I do *before* I get to the pre-bed beauty routine! He figures if he checks the locks and hits the hay he's done his bit. How true! He's always "reminding" me to make sure the kid's papers are signed etc. before the a.m., as if I needed to be reminded! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone explain to me what gene men have that allows them to KNOW women do this stuff every night, and it's ok not to help??

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Brandy--I think that is the 'dense' gene. Or the 'I've worked hard all day' gene :)

    My DH is pretty good, but I can relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that does sound familiar!

    Fed the tortoise??

    ReplyDelete