Monday, February 13, 2006

Puppy drug

Firstly, let me mention I did a post on Great Escape Artists yesterday--long overdue on my account :) Check it out :)


My DH always buys me People magazine when he does the shopping (bless him). My current wip uses drug smuggling as the backdrop crime behind the hero & heroine's romance, so I've done quite a lot of research on Colombian drug traffickers and hard drugs in general (having no idea!!) The police officers in Fife are used to answering all sorts of dumb questions from me LOL, and hopefully won't arrest me next time I go back to the UK.

But I was horrified by the latest mules. God, these people have no souls.


Dealers Hid Drugs in Puppies: Feds

Thursday Feb 02, 2006 10:00am EST
By Stephen M. Silverman

CREDIT: DEA / AP

More than 30 people were arrested on the East Coast after a horrific discovery: puppies used as drug mules after Colombian drug dealers surgically inserted heroin packets inside them with the hope of smuggling the contraband inside the U.S. border, say federal authorities.

Ten puppies, including Labrador retrievers, were rescued during a 2005 raid on a farm in Colombia, the Drug Enforcement Administration said while announcing the 30 arrests, the Associated Press reports.

Investigators believe the ring used the dogs, as well as humans (who swallowed the drugs), to cloak millions of dollars in liquid heroin on commercial flights into New York for distribution on the East Coast. Drugs apparently also were concealed in body creams, aerosol cans, and the linings of purses and luggage.

As for the pups, a veterinarian had stitched a total of three kilograms of heroin into the bellies of six of them. Three later died from infections once the drugs were removed. It is not known how many dogs in all were used in the scheme, or what their fates were after they made their "deliveries," said John Gilbride, head of the DEA's New York office.

"I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way," he said.

8 comments:

  1. Is there no limit to the depravity of people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that story on the news. Unbelievable. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Scott, I don't think there is.

    Peggy it is so sad--puppies are just so innocent and trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully believe there is a special corner in hell for people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell might be too good a spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They also use children - and in one case I heard of - an infant. They do this because they have no soul and there is definitely a corner in hell waiting for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greed is a terrible, terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GRRRRRR. This completely INFURIATES me.

    ReplyDelete