Thursday, February 16, 2006

Rant

I know not everyone wants rants, but I have to get this out of my system a few times a year--and I have noticed my policies being taken up in high places--LOL. As if ANYBODY EVER listens to me!!!

This is huge, big, enormous, wonderful news to me--look world--look at Sweden!! If they can do it, we can do it too! Really! Thanks Loreth for the link


Sweden plans to be world's first oil-free economy


· 15-year limit set for switch to renewable energy
· Biofuels favoured over further nuclear power


John Vidal, environment editor
Wednesday February 8, 2006
The Guardian


Evergreen forest in Sweden
Evergreen... Sweden will develop biofuels from its forests. Photograph: Mattias Klum/Getty Images


Sweden is to take the biggest energy step of any advanced western economy by trying to wean itself off oil completely within 15 years - without building a new generation of nuclear power stations.

The attempt by the country of 9 million people to become the world's first practically oil-free economy is being planned by a committee of industrialists, academics, farmers, car makers, civil servants and others, who will report to parliament in several months.

Article continues


It gave me a much needed boost after reading this article on the BBC.

By Paul Rincon
BBC News science reporter, St Louis

Kangerdlussuaq Glacier, East Greenland (J.A. Dowdeswell)
Kangerdlussuaq Glacier "drains" about 4% of the ice sheet
Greenland's glaciers are sliding towards the sea much faster than previously believed, scientists have told a conference in St Louis, US.

It was thought the entire Greenland ice sheet could melt in about 1,000 years, but the latest evidence suggests that could happen much sooner.

It implies that sea levels will rise a great deal faster as well.

The comprehensive analysis found that the amount of ice dumped into the Atlantic Ocean has doubled in the last five years.

If the Greenland ice sheet melted completely, it would raise global sea levels by about 7m.





7 m???? OMG. Goodbye New Orleans, for sure this time!!! As if that city hasn't suffered enough. Goodbye every city along the seaboards in every country of the world.

I get so depressed by it. The curse of an overactive imagination. I see variations in my head of my parents and family being alternatively frozen to death (if the gulf stream stops/slows/changes direction), flooded out, by rising sea levels, or starved out. I feel so strongly about it because it is personal to me, if not my parents, then my children, if not my children, then my grandchildren.

And now in the depths of winter I am burning wood to survive, I am driving my car because I risk frostbite if I'm out for more than 5 minutes.

So I'm burdened with guilt AND an overactive imagination. Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier to be dumb.

10 comments:

  1. Don't feel guilty - you have to work with what you have and keeping warm is a fact of life. Perhaps more hybrid cars (and more affordable)and various alternative sources of fuel will soon. We don't have a fireplace so we have to run the heat, but we keep it low and use precious electricity (portable heater) instead. Personally, it's not cold enough for me to have the heat on much - but mother (blood thinners) and Bebo (just plain wuss) insist on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep our heat at a set number, it helps us to not only economize the money spent on heat, but on the natural gas our heater uses. As for worrying about the world, someone needs to! We recycle bottles, paper, glass and metal. We are trying to teach our kids that every little bit helps the environment. Unfortunatley until the cost of hybrid vehicles cmes down, we too are going to have to be unsatisfied w/ the amount of oil/gas we are dependent on. WAY TO GO SWEDEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly Toni, more people need to be ranting about renewable fuels, despite how available or not available oil is. The world would be a nicer place if we didn't have to keep consuming everything around us like pac men. I tip my hat to Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not just me then :) It is good to know other people share your concerns. Some people just look at me and say 'Oh, you're one of them'. One of them what? Treehugger? Doomster? Realist? Intelligent human being?

    -47C with the windchill this morning. Hmmm. A bit chilly, though I did fly out of my house in my slippers this morning--don't ask it was a yucky doggy reason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walk that walk and teach your children well, Toni. To me, that's where the changes begin. If we lead a life they can model, we've accomplished so much already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son's class has been talking about alternative sources of energy. He wants to figure out how to do cold fusion. Wouldn't that be great? And he'd be so rich, he could take care of his mom.

    We are having estimates done to get solar power. Our electric bills are beyond outrageous and we figure it would pay for itself in about 5 years. I don't have to worry about heating bills but the summers are brutal and I can't run my a/c.

    I applaud Sweden for its efforts. But they only have 9 million people to convert. Heck, there are over 9 million people in Los Angeles county alone. I have faith that the world will improve. The air quality in my area has improved phenomenally over the last 20 years thanks to emissions control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Rene, they do only have 9 million people but it is a small country and it is the technolgy they develop that will count the most. Good for you on the solar power. I am thinking of talking to the bank about geothermal and maybe getting a loan--it does A/C and heating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meretta--you're right. My dd already says we're walking to school to save the world mommy aren't we?

    LOL--a bit dramatic, but basically yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Europe is always lightyears ahead of the United States in terms of better alternatives to the environment and health remedies (or so it seems). I hope the US can get their tush in gear.

    Thanks for posting this, Toni. I think we all need to be more concerned over these issues and I'm glad that you bring them to our attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete