Saturday, February 04, 2006

Uni


Dh has to work again--oh to be a University prof, raking in the millions, holidays whenever you want to take them, flexibility in work schedule.

DH's peers in industry always say--well you've got so much freedom in your work (if you can get a grant for it--and they only fund projects with immediate payoff these days), you've got great holidays (which you never take), great flexibility with time (sure if DH comes home an hour early on a Wednesday (as in 4 pm after going in at 5 a.m. some days) he can make it up by working all day Saturday).

Education is now a business. This is the same the world over. Students pay big fees and EXPECT to pass. They expect not to work, to be hand fed their exam questions and course work. They complain if they miss an exam? And get to retake it? What about the poor buggers who were up all night studying for the exam and did it on time? Why do (generally) lazy-assed students get an extra couple of weeks to retake an exam they should have only missed for hospital appointments and death in the family?

OK--that is the extreme, I know most students still work hard...but not like it were in my day (thick Yorkshire accent here)

How do we measure the quality of student education in a world that is graded from 65-100%? There was a reason for the 1-100% range--it meant you could actually make good students stand out from the bad/mediocre. I know exams aren't everything, but course work is the same!

Can you see me when my kids are at school? What do you mean you got a C??? Where's the teacher's phone number :) Sounds crazy but I bet it happens with some parents.

OK rant over.

10 comments:

  1. Very good and accurate rant Missy. Keep at the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni it was always thus, one's perception of studenthood changes as one ages, you must be aging quicker than I thought, we had better get over for a visit.
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Pop, come visit, before i need a stick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grade slip is a well known and accepted problem :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dh taught for the Military while he was in the Military. The students there were just as bad, selfish babies who wanted everything handed to them. What made it worse was, it was never a students fault if they didn't pass a test, it was always the fault of the teacher. UGH! He transfered after 4 years, the stress brought out TMJ, he didn't even know he had! (sorry for my mini rant)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH muh loard. Parents actually do get ticked if their children receive a "C", but one must remember that a "C" is a measure of "average" everyone can't be above average. It's not statistically possible. However, if your kids are like you, I'm sure you won't have to worry over a "c".

    I don't know, my college profs are working my tooshie off, always have. I've never gotten to retake a test and I've always had to work hard. Sounds like your DH got a spoiled lot of them this year :( Good luck to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH and while I'm joining the rant (hee hee) Everyone assumes profs and teachers just sit around on their time "off" they forget about the papers we bring home to grade, the lesson plans, etc. We never have that time "off".

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of that, students believing they deserve better marks because they paid for this education. I suppose I could see where that thinking comes in, particularly for students who work hard to earn that cash. But I suppose if they really didn't want to waste their money (or papa's) they'd put some of that energy into their courses.

    As for the C grade. My kids struggled in the lower grades, and would come home with C's. I always said as long as that C was the best they could do, it was okay with me. I'm not a big fan of the grading system. It's just another source to make children feel inferior to their peers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandy--my brother teaches in the RAF and complains about similar problems! Hope your is now Dh de-stressed!!!

    Kendra--I knew you'd appreciate this :D Exactly. C should be top of the bell curve, average! Most kids should get C's--that's the whole point of the grading system.

    Peggy--I worry for kids being made to feel inferior too. Grades should be tools for teachers & parents, not ways to make kids feel bad about themselves. I guess I was lucky, grades were the one thing I could chose to do (or not)--get good grades or not bother. But kids are graded unconsciously by their peers/elders in all their behavioural traits, looks, sporting ability.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes it's nice for the geeks to excel at something!

    Grade slip is turning into a real problem. It'll just take a few lawsuits to really screw up the system!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a C student in public schools - more C's than B's, more B's than A's. And yet, in college I was president's scholar and dean's list. Go figure. I think it was the lack of peer pressure - no cliques like in public school.

    ReplyDelete