Monday, March 20, 2006

Dark Side

I think I might be much darker person than people really think. I have a morbid but vivid imagination and my reading material feeds that. Come to think of it, your average CSI feeds it so I guess I'm not the only one.

But I just wrote this short (270 word) short story for the Kiss of Death cookbook we're trying to prepare for this summer.

Anyway, this story came to me in a vivid rush. I had the location, an old converted church in New Town Edinburgh (New is relative BTW), I had the heroine, Inspector Wendy Culpepper who is nine months pregnant, and the victim, a loud mouthed TV chef, Hamish Hamilton.

And I just knew what someone had done to him (evil laughter). And although I never stated it, everybody assumed the worst and it probably put everyone off their food--so I binned that ending LOL. My new ending is awaiting approval and is much more bland--but it is for the salad section so...

Anyway, my morbid imagination also makes me picture the worst case scenario for everything. From DH taking DS to daycare, to going to bed at night and worrying about a serial killer in the basement. I imagine the worst for everything and then I move on and get over it. But for that split- second I'm frozen and thinking... what if?

Is this a writer thing or am I just paranoid?

9 comments:

  1. I'd say it's just a very vivid imagination that will continue to fuel your writing. Just turn those thoughts toward your fiction and you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the same thing - a lot of writers I know are paranoid. Guess it's all of the stuff going around in our head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah. I knew you were morbid in a long time ago. ggg

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL--what a day. Chaos. Thanks for your thoughts. I have an overactive imagination!!!

    OK--kid puke. Have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're a writer when the things you're paranoid about, help you make geat stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivid imagination + caring personality + mom and wife + writer = Winning combination for fretfulness and paranoia to fuel said writer's future stardom. Use your gift well, my friend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahem, I'm writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think "What if's" is a necessary seed for any writer. Without, we would have no story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope everybody has enough paranoia to keep safe and enough wisdom to enjoy the moment.

    Peggy 'What if...' I have a file called that for my story ideas.

    ReplyDelete