Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Loss for words


I'm rarely at a loss for something to say--even though I can be quiet for days. Seriously I don't think the whole marooned-on-a-desert-island thing would bother me much, as long as I knew my family were safe back home, I had food, water and an electric kettle for tea. And a cow (I take milk). I'd also need warm clothes because I bet it gets cold on desert islands at night.

One of the times I have been most cold was after the sun set in Uluru. Temperature plummeted like a rock from a plane and we weren't prepared. That night, despite a fleecy sleep-suit, our 10 month old baby cuddled in with us in bed because he was cold too. Who takes a 10 month old trekking around Australia? Actually he was probably easier than his 3 year old sister (never let kids put you off traveling--much ;-). I digress.

My most poignant memory of the two nights we stayed in the campground near Uluru were listening to the dingoes howl, while watching the stars stretch out overhead. The Red Centre is wonderful. You can feel the incredible age of the rocks and soil. The quality of the silence is like that of a sacristy. Amazing.

Where was I? I was at a loss for words earlier—but now I’m not :)

11 comments:

  1. LOL, you can easily take your kiddies to the outbacks of Australia, but Walmart is a bigger challenge! That's too funny. Those little animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy--you're right! Never shop with kids under five!!! The thing about the outback is it's pretty flat--you can see them running away for ages :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were as much of a loss for words as you are - I might get something written ... (zzzzzzz)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D I'm working on my villain--now.
    He's lacking I think. Need to make him 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exactly the opposite of my ideal vacation. I am not a person who likes to campout. I need a bed AND a roof over my head! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh we had a bed and a roof--we stayed in cabins on the campgrounds. Really fabulous part of Australian campgrounds. These ones had two bedrooms--one with 4 bunks, one with a double bed, a kitchen with a table and chairs, microwave, hot-plate, sink, TV, fridge.

    Only problem is no loo :) You have to go down to the campground facilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can no longer think of camping in the outback without thinking of the baby that was (supposedly?) taken by dingoes! Did they ever find out what happened?

    And kids and camping? We haven't done it in years...we're back in the saddle this summer, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!@ WalMart Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meretta, she was released I think. I don't recall the whole story but I'm pretty sure her conviction was a travesty.

    http://www.lindychamberlain.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should always write when you have nothing to say. I had to bundle up just to read.

    ReplyDelete