Saturday, April 08, 2006

Score

My mother-in-law always says, 'what's for ye, won't go by ye.' I have found this to be very true in my life.

My primary ambition (in my five-year plan) was to be print published by a RWA recognized firm. Last November I'd become a little frustrated with placing my story 'Her Sanctuary' with either an agent or a New York editor. The feedback I was getting was they 'liked it' but thought it would be hard to catagorize (i.e. shelve in the bookstore). I have a good voice (they said), but 'it is a bit too dark for this type of romance'.

I didn't try masses of people in NY. I got so frustrated with the wait time, I decided to try the epublisher my CP Kendra had sold to.

Triskelion offered me a contract straight away. Which was great--but it wasn't the big bang for me--you know? I felt kind of in limbo because most people don't understand ebooks and it wasn't a score for my five-year-plan.

So then I find out they are becoming a print publisher and that my book is going to print in December 2006. Well, seriously, the thought of clutching my hard written words between my two mitts is a MASSIVE thrill, but it still wasn't that score in my self-imposed five-year-plan.

Except now... ladies and gentlemen, now Triskelion have earned RWA recognition and I am going to be published in print with an RWA recognized publisher. I can join PAN (Public Author Network in RWA), I can enter contests (OMG--I could enter the RITAs). I feel validated and vindicated--even though not a single word of my book has changed (except tiny edits). What I'm trying to say--so badly, is my rejected story from a year ago is now a success. I did everything backwards--no surprise believe me, you should see me on a horse! I had the most convoluted CALL ever. But now I feel I can really say--I'm an author.

(P.S. Working on point two of five-year-plan ;-)).

11 comments:

  1. Dear FBA,

    Have I told you lately how proud I am of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news!! Congrats, Toni! You must be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Toni. It's a great book and you deserve to hold it in your hands, as do your readers.

    You're going places, gal, BIG places!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!! You're the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the announcement, you were the first person I thought of and how totally excited you must be. Aren't most things convoluted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ye of little faith! Good things come to those who wait.... well done Petal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. woohoo! I just heard yesterday at my chapter meeting - congrats for you - let's keep fingers crossed for Samhain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rene--thanks!!

    Deb--well, I've never been good at waiting. :)

    Dennie--fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome, Toni! I heard that Triskelion had been accepted as an RWA publisher and you were the first person I thought about! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I didn't even read Rene's comment - oh well - great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete