Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Elliot Yamin


I so wish I could vote on American Idol. I mean seriously, Elliot is so GREAT!!! He's the family favourite and such a wonderful singer. I think the last four are all talented and the Elvis songs were harder for Catherine to pull off than for the guys. That said I think she was the worst last night and should be the one to go.

Here's Elliot's interview from the start of the competition

When did you first start to sing?

5 years old.

Do you have any formal singing training?

No.

What other talents do you have?

I can do funny voices and impressions.

If you don't make it on AMERICAN IDOL, what will you do?

Do whatever I've always done...Survive! Of course, I'd still pursue a career in music.

What are your personal goals in life?

To help educate young people about music and diabetes. I want to be an inspiration to others. I want to be a great Dad someday...I want to meet Magic Johnson and have a floor seat at a Lakers game.

What album would your friends be surprised you own?

Ladies and Gentlemen - George Michael

Who is your AMERICAN IDOL?

My Mom - she's overcome a lot of adverse situations. She's a very strong-willed woman!

Do you have any rituals or things you do each time you perform?

Pray and take deep breaths.

Most embarrassing moments?

My first Hollywood Round Auditions - I forgot the lyrics to the beginning of my song! I thought I was going home for sure.

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

Making the Top 24.

If you couldn't sing, which talent would you most like to have?

I'd love to be able to play the guitar and piano. I'd like to be taller, just so I can dunk a basketball!

What is your definition of an AMERICAN IDOL?

Someone who can inspire others to accomplish anything they set their mind to do.

Who is your favorite judge and why?

Simon - he doesn't sugarcoat anything.

What would people be surprised to learn about you?

Probably that I wear an insulin pump.

How has this changed your life?

It's validated my artistry and given me the confidence to accomplish anything I set out to do!

Do you have any lucky charms?

Nope, just my vocal chords.

Who are your heroes in life?

My Mom.

What's been your toughest obstacle in life?

Learning to manage my diabetes.

Do you think the audition process was fair?

For the most part, however I've seen some really talented singers go home.

If you win, who will you thank first?

God, then my Mom.

I liked his answers.
And here's an interesting little overview

15 comments:

  1. Great interview!! Thanks for that. I have to admit, he is not my pick. I am all about Chris. I know he wans't as strong tonight - I am on the Pacific ocast and it is still 20minutes left inthe show as I type.

    I think Katherine will go - I hate to see any of them go though. I really hope they all have successful careers. They are all amazing singers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh... he sounds so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch American Idol, but I was really impressed with that interview. Such strong answers from a man who knows who he is. No hesitation for instance on who his favorite judge was. Many would have been shy about taking a stand. And of course, who couldn't love a guy who loves his mother?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought both he and Taylor did excellent last night. It was their night. Chris was blah and Katherine should be going next. That said ...

    Hear me out Chris lovers - I hope he doesn't win. I think he would be a much bigger hit with some other record producer. Kelly Clarkson didn't really take off until she distanced herself from AI; I love Bo Bice - but his first CD was boring; Clay's CD was too bubble-gum when it should have been more Josh Groban(I know - the last two didn't win). I'd like Chris to come in number 3 so that he could have more control over his CD - I'm afraid they'll bubble gum him and ruin it. They just don't seem to know what to do with rockers. He'll be a star regardless.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Chris made it into the bottom based on last night's performance. But I think he's on to next week.

    I wasn't aware of Elliot's diabetes - what a strong man he is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. man - I missed it... we Tivo'd it but haven't had a chance to watch - so voting is um a little late now - we will watch before the results show so we can act like we did vote and make a difference

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL--it is a really good family show. And the talent is astounding. I am always impressed by people who go that little bit further. I liked him before I realized he had diabetes--and he's deaf in one ear! His voice is so classic--I'm talking Sinatra potential.

    And like Scott says, who can't love a guy who loves his mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All four are great, but Elliott is probably my least favourite. I enjoy Taylor because he's fun too watch, though sometimes not sure about the voice. I thought both Chris and Katherine struggled last night. Maybe the endless weeks of singing are catching up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was Bucky who was deaf in one ear? You know, my future son-in-law? (even though he's married and my DD is only 8 ;)

    Elliot is the least favorite singer in our house, something about the way his voice warbles, but he's a great guy, no doubt about it. I think Chris wasn't up to par last night and though I really liked Catharine's first performance (though she forgot the lyrics), the second was not great. Loved Taylor's performances. He's a great entertainer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meretta, LOL--I think I've turned into my grandad. Now I can't remember if it was Elliot or Bucky and you're probably right!! And you've been ill!! My brain is mush. I'm getting some sleep but just not enough!
    DH asked what I wanted for Mother's Day--I said a lie in :)

    Eve--meant to say, I agree, sometimes winning isn't the best thing. In the UK this one guy won Fame Academy (a similar program but a cross between Big Brother and Pop Idol), and he gave up singing immediately and concentrated on song writing. Probably made a fortune :) That's what my brother wants to do--BTW. Make his millions writing songs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Elliott. He is a good singer. I also liked Paris and was bummed to see her go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paris was a cutie too Kelley!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing that interview, Toni. Ditto what Scott said. I haven't watched Idol this go-around, but I get hooked when I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for giving me something to think about. We don't watch Idol, but it's nice to learn that it's not cheesy, as it seems from the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a good interview! I voted for him once, but I voted for Taylor a good half dozen times. Still, shocked Chris is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that Chris is gone, my vote (if I had one ;) goes to Taylor. Love the way he dances. :D

    A lie in for Mother's Day sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete