Tuesday, May 30, 2006

NYC

Ok--I was researching Greenwich Village for the opening scene of my wip and going through the info I gathered for the few NY scenes in Her Sanctuary.

I think I wrote an entire escape and evasion chase scene that took place all over NYC, Elizabeth shaking lose the Feds and the mob. Wow--it was like 30 pages long and really CLEVER!!! LOL. Thank God I cut it. I wrote a stake-out, a rape scene, a nightclub bloodbath, all sorts of stuff that never made it into the book.

I wrote the rape scene with the intention it never made the edit. I needed to know exactly what happened to Elizabeth and what drove her to extremes, but it seemed gratuitous to put it in the book.

Anyway, while researching this, I found a post card to DH who'd already moved back to Scotland by this time (1998), leaving me to finish my contract.

I was at an American Fisheries Society Conference in Connecticutt with two friends and I dragged them to NYC for the day. A South Dakota boy and a quebecoise girl.

It read:

I am so knackered my hands are shaking. We saw: Time Sq, Broadway, 5th Ave, Rockerfeller Centre, Central Pk. Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, Empire State, Gramercy Pk, Park Ave & The Chrysler Building--my personal favourite. On the bus home to Hartford now--knackered & very, very hot! Rich is still talking, but Julie is dead meat. Nice day, very non-threatening and easy-going. I think being a Sunday helped. Hartford stinks, our hotel is crap, but Julie, Rich & I are holding up and enjoying the time in the US.


We took one taxi all day, from Upper West Side to Greenwich Village :) I'm a hell of a tourist if I do say so myself. ;-) I would recommend taking more than 1 day to do all the above. I REALLY want to go back for a longer visit.

11 comments:

  1. Toni - you are the same kind of insane traveller my dh is! I could never keep up that kind of pace - I would wilt somewhere around Gramercy Park and demand you STOP! I'll bet the taxi driver was pleased with you all though :) Great postcard to Gary and I'll bet he was amazed that you did all that - likely proved to him that you were good marriage material - great stamina for motherhood 'n all that! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, so anytime you want to meet up in NYC, let me know

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Laurie - give me a leisurely couple of days to see everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some day I'm going to make it to NYC! Yesiree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my family lives is New Jersey so my seeing of NYC is usually across the river - LOL but the last time we visited the city I was 17 - I'd like to go as an adult and take in the different sites all over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie, luckily for me DH is a similar sort of tourist. He even drags me sometimes :) I would have rather spent more time there but we were time constrained. Leisurely is good too :)

    Karen, I'd love to! Maybe in a couple of years.

    Eve, I know. It was nuts.

    Peggy--I certainly hope so.
    Denniee--relos in Jersey? :) 'Jersey girl' sung by Bruce is another all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to NYC - and to tell you the truth, I've never really had the urge! I'm not comfortable in big cities. But ironically, I was VERY comfortable in London. I felt safer in London than I did walking the streets of Denver, Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a psycho traveler. Until the kids showed up. I remember being on a dead run on my honeymoon.

    When I went to NYC, some of the others of my group went to the Statue of Liberty, Wall STreet and places like that. I headed for Saks Fifth Avenue and Macy's. That was my idea of tourism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps. we also 'did' MOMA and the public Library. And wandered around St Patricks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to NYC, but your trip sounds a lot like my class trip to Wahington DC. I don't remember slleping the weekend we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED NYC when I went in 2003. I didn't think I would, but I did. I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete