Saturday, May 20, 2006

Richard Burton



I've decided against Richard Burton as a role model for my next hero, but I couldn't resist posting a couple of pictures of him and Liz Taylor. I hear she's very ill.

Wasn't she the most beautiful woman? I know they were terribly spoiled and childish. They led charmed Hollywood lives before Brad & Angelina were even twinkles in their parents' eyes--makes you wonder if times really do change or do we just convince ourselves they do because of our gadgets.

I always feel sorry for Burton's last wife, Sally, because these two Hollywood legends are linked forever in many peoples minds as the classic 'can't live together, can't live apart' lovers.

For me it was Richard Burton's voice--actually the more I think about it, the more I realise I am very attracted to voices--DH's too. Richard Burton had the sort of voice that you could feel. It wasn't the Welsh accent--I was born on the English side of the Welsh border, which makes for keen enemies. But there was some vibrant living quality to Burton's voice that still resonates today. His looks aren't bad either--an early Russell Crowe--and he was one hell of an actor :)

I wonder WHY he never got an Academy Award--and why John Wayne did, LOL? John Wayne tried to give Burton his oscar when he beat him in 1969? Something like that. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Duke, but Burton beat him hands down as an actor. What do you think? Wayne or Burton??



17 comments:

  1. I'm a HUGE John Wayne fan, so naturally would pick him but in all fairness have never seen a Burton film. I only know him through Taylor connection/stormy romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burton, yup definately Burton. Still can't forgive Elizabeth Taylor cutting off those beautiful locks in International Velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Burton. A very passionate actor who always knew how to steal a scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burton.

    And Cary Grant never won an Oscar either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ... the romance of those Hollywood days *sigh* ... thinking about these characters really does remind one how much times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy--I bet you have but you've forgotten. John Wayne seemed like a really nice guy :) No wonder you write westerns :)

    Deb, Liz paid for it with the wigs in later life.

    Cali LOL--hope I didn't insult you on Jill's blog!! He was amazing.

    Eve--poor Cary!! Loved him.

    Loreth--time has really moved on in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I barely remember seeing a movie with Richard Burton, but I will always remember my favorite John Wayne movie, The Quiet Man. Cary Grant was another old movie favorite, but y'all are going to think I'm wierd. I had a crush on Fred Astaire when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this is me ducking what you throw at me, but I really don't remember much of the Duke and none of Burton and um...I haven't watched many black and whites either.

    Does the Dukes of Hazzard count? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meretta... is that because you're so young? How about Casablanca? You ever seen that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You think too hard. Plus I'm entirely too young to know *snigger*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever heard Bill Murray do his Burton impression? Totally cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I introduced my Daughter to her first black and white the other night. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. She really enjoyed it. So much so that I bought Topper for her, she LOVED that one. She thought it was hilarious. You ever wonder if all these old movies are going to just be forgotten by this new generation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendra, DH is always saying I think too much!!

    Rene, I haven't but I love Bill Murray so I bet he's great!

    I was reading that Costner sat next to Burton on a flight somewhere and told him he wanted to act. Burton told him if he was serious he had to drop all his other 'things' and concentrate on acting. Good advice--kind of like for being an author starting out :/

    Brandy--yes, I do!!! Or maybe they will rediscover them and shout about them like we never knew! Just like every generation invents sex?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cary Grant - how could he have been gay? Apparently he was bi-sexual, guess when you are that handsome you don't want to waste it just on women! LOL.

    Casablanca is lovely, I watched it again only the other week. Put me in the mood for Gone with the Wind too....

    Keanu Reeves still takes some beating too - and boy could I give him a beating (ooops sorry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually haven't seen Casablanca in it's entirety (more ducking!). Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete