Monday, May 15, 2006

***Spoilers***


I've watched a couple of good movies in the last few weeks. Funny enough they had some of my favorite male leads. I grew up with these guys from their first TV roles and have this huge admiration for them (and they look pretty good too :)

Flightplan. Every mother’s nightmare of losing a child made worse because nobody believes her. There’s suspense with guessing who the bad guy is, and whether Jodie is losing her mind or not. The poor woman has just lost her husband so it isn’t out with the realms of possibility. The storyline is pretty unbelievable, but the acting is great and, although airplane sterile, the cinematography is well done. And I love Sean Bean. Nothing more to be said except I’m planning a Sharpe day soon. Isn't Jodie pretty at the premiere? And don't Sean and Jodie look like they got on like a house on fire. Always wondered about that simile. :-/


The second movie was Derailed. I'm not going to spoil the plot, but I will say I really didn't like the first half of the movie--just shows how we get programmed to expect our heroes to act in a certain way, so a cheating husband (even with enormous family pressures) wasn't what I wanted. I cringed through those scenes up until Clive Owen finally took control and got one over on the bad guys--who were VERY convincing. Vincent Cassel was wonderful, a Frenchman with a mean streak. Beautifully done. I was trying to remember when I first saw Clive and realized it must have been in the 80's in a TV series called Boon. Then he started his rise to fame in Chancer and I think I fell in love with him in Second Sight. Sigh.


15 comments:

  1. I wanted to rent Derailed this weekend, but my hubby prefered to go with Narnia. Funny enough - we didn't even get time to watch it and it is due tomorrow! Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Flightplan and really enjoyed it. How can you not as a mother? And with Jodi and Sean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been debating Flightplan. Bebo watched Derailed and didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh... O forgot to say about Flight pan. The only thing that made me cringe was having FBI agents in charge of GooseBay airport in NFLD (I've been there :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skipped the Flightplan review. It's on my queue. I did see Derailed, and for the most part I didn't like it. I didn't like Aniston because I didn't believe her, and I saw right through her from the beginning. It was almost comical in it's adherance to the horror formula. The bad guy didn't die when he shot him. Where have I seen that before?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sean Bean and Clive Owen. The first time I saw Clive Owen was in a movie called Greensleeves where he was a prisoner working on a garden. He really did the hard, cold man moving towards life well.

    Sean Bean's been around forever but he is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, I think I knew there was a twist because of the movie hype and so I did guess the plot. If I'd have gone into a movie theatre cold I'd have been pretty shocked. I thought she was OK in it actually. Not exactly stretched as an actress but outside her usual cutesy roles.

    Rene--please don't make me feel old. I haven't seen Greensleeves or Beyond Borders and I'd like to see both. He's great in Gosford Park. I forgot to say Clive is Loreth's hero in one of her upcoming books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Derailed! I thought the beginning was slow and didnt think I would like it, but ended up on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I haven't seen either of these. And to be honest, don't want to. I do like Clive Owen, however, I think he is a wonderful actor. Not a big fan of Jennifer Aniston.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really REALLY want to see "Derailed." I love Clive. He should have been the next James Bond, IMO.

    And Sean Bean...sigh. He's just terrific in everything he does. LOVED him in the "Sharpe" series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelley me too.
    Brandy, don't apologise to me!!! :)
    Melissa--what's not to love huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just bought Love Actually - I prefer comedies - LOVE IT!!! though I might have laughed even harder had I not had to pause it every ten minutes to deal w/ ankle biters....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol, Toni :) ... Clive is just my hero all round. The man is SO powerfully intense and male he's almost frightening -- and not just in his films, I believe. He has that bad boy element, very alpha -- oh, and the accent. I love that mix. Find it very sexy.

    I haven't seen Derailed though -- because of what I've heard about his character in that movie. Doesn't sound like the Clive I love. Wouldn't want to burst my bubble.

    And I am kinda glad he's not James (I am a Bond fanatic, too). It would be too much of a box for Clive at this stage of his careeer, in my very humble opinion.

    I do like the look of the new Bond, though. He's in Munich, isn't he? Wasn't he also Angelina Jolie's sexy love interest in the first Tomb Raider?

    L

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thought Flight Plan was an excellent study in creating pacy suspense in a contained environment with few characters, as we strive to do in romance.

    Love Jodi as well. Her characters are so often excellent strong female role models in general

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dennie--I am planning a Love Actually re-viewng soon. I do like that movie.
    Loreth, Yes Daniel Craig is going to be super hot. I know people are a bit luke warm as 007, but the man has serious talent and old fashioned British goodlooks.

    They did a good job with flightplan.

    ReplyDelete