Tuesday, June 06, 2006

**Spoilers***

Me and hubby watched Brokeback Mountain the other week. I have to say it was a very well acted and well directed movie. The scenery isn’t as fabulous as I expected—I think they could have used it more, without being boring, but then I’m very into setting.

Couple of things I noticed. Firstly, Heath adopted a very Billy Bob Thornton way of speaking in this movie. His acting and role were first class, but that voice actually took away something for me.

I thought Jake Googlywhatsit acted his part quite brilliantly.

And the loves scenes I thought were very well done. I loved the wrestling, the roughness of the way they were together (I'm just talking about the hugging and stuff). Men can't be like that with women. If my hubby threw me around like that I'd have to go to a battered wives shelter. But guys 'rough-housing' (is that the American expression?) is really atrractive to watch, like young male animals sparring, or like watching fit guys play sport. So maybe it is a guilty pleasure, but I liked that.

I did find it amusing that being with other women was allowed, but being with another guy caused a jealous rage.

I wonder about Annie Proulx's childhood. It seems to me she must have had a pretty sad upbringing to view love the way she does--I know it is fiction but as a reader I am allowed to wonder out loud :) As a fellow writer I have to mind my own business ;-) So I admired the movie, but I didn't love it, because rather than rising up to the challenges that faced them, the hero, Heath, ran away from the one thing that meant most to him in the whole world.

And I'm ecstatic and amused that Heath found and married his beautiful wife, Michelle Williams while making that movie. A tiny portion of me wonders if he was subconciously reacting to the possible condemnation and negative affect of playing a gay man and dropped lucky in finding the woman of his dreams, literally in his bed.



18 comments:

Meretta said...

Love the picture of Heath you have posted, Toni. Very nice smile that man has. Feet, too. :)

DH and I watched Brokeback and we both enjoyed it well enough, but I felt the development of the relationship and especially the first sex scene were too rushed. Up until then there wasn't much (if any) indication that Heath would be receptive to such an overture in a dark tent. But otherwise, I enjoyed it, but I don't think it should have beat Crash for an Oscar.

Loreth Anne White said...

Haven't seen this movie, but I am a total Annie Proulx fan. I see her as a keen observer of life in all its flavor -- both bitter and sweet. And I don't think that someone need necessarily have an unhappy childhood to make poignant comment. Think about those writers who create diabolically awful killers -- I'm betting many weren't too mangled in their youth *G*.

Loreth Anne White said...

LOL .. that was bit of leap in logic there between poignant comment and killers .. but you know what I mean?? I hope??

Toni Anderson said...

But Crash got the Oscar right? I haven't seen Crash yet. Aother on my list :) Meretta, you're right about character development. And I figure any picture of Heath is a good picture :)

Loreth, I do know what you mean about writers and killers etc. Not a big jump at all. I agree, but there is something about the way she writes blackness in some human beings that makes me wonder. Maybe the old tortured soul comes to mind--just like Stephen King (in my head).

Peggy said...

I know this is politically incorrect, but I just can't see this movie. I hold cowboy's up on that "real men" pedastal too high. And I adore Heath too much to have his image marred. Sorry, it would creep me out too much.

Toni Anderson said...

Peggy--I think it is perfectly understandable and your choice.

I like the idea of real men as cowboys too, but it must be awfully hard if those real men turn out to be gay.

Meretta said...

Well if Crash won, I feel better. Somehow I had it in my mind that Brokeback won. Didn't watch the Oscars so it's just the delusions of my mind leading me around (as usual ;) and whatever my bad hearing has chosen to hear. Lord. I'm a mess. ;)

Scott said...

I don't know how those two acted this movie like they did. There was real passion between them. If one or the other isn't actually gay, then bravo for the performance of a lifetime

Toni Anderson said...

M--I think Crash won best film. I think brokeback got most of the other awards. I could be wrong even though I did watch the ceremony!!

Toni Anderson said...

Yeah Scott, it was quite something. I believe they are both happily heterosexual but I'm no expert.

Dennie McDonald said...

are they married? At the Oscars I didn't think they were - {shrugs}

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't. My granddad was a cowboy and I don't think I could watch that w/o getting creeped out - but then again - I am a silly girl!

Sandra said...

LOVE that picture of Heath, he's one of my favorite actors.

I'm still not interested in seeing the movie though, I'm with Peggy, I just can't bring myself to see it and I'm afraid that I would never look at Heath in the same way again LOL

Melissa Marsh said...

I have no interest in seeing this movie, either. But it has definitely stirred up controversy.

Toni Anderson said...

Yeah, I know this is a controversial movie. That's good though.

I'm glad I saw it. I can separate Heath from his character in this movie. I can still lust!!

Bailey Stewart said...

I think that that is why a lot of actors steer away from controversial films because they are afraid of alienating fans. I applaud the two of them for doing so. Crash did win the Oscar. I've been back and forth about this movie mostly because I've heard so much about it that I got sick of just hearing the title. Maybe later.

Tried to comment earlier today but blogger wouldn't let me.

Toni Anderson said...

I missed you Eve--Blogger is being a bugger the last few days. Usually means they are doing something.

Laurie said...

Crash is very well written and it's a shame Matt Dillon didn't get his Best Actor for it because I thought he was excellent. Brokeback was one of those movies that "stayed with you" after you saw it. After seeing Jake G. in "Jarhead", it was amazing to see him act in BB, and I thought he did a spectacular job compared to my beloved Heath :). I agree with Toni that his mushed-mouthed voice sort of took away from his character, and Meretta that the development of the relationship was rushed. The movie did a great job of "humanizing" (at least for me) the people behind the "gay" moniker, and realize how tortured their lives can be, and how similar to a forbidden love that's carried on for twenty years with no hope of fruition. Just my .02 cents.

Toni Anderson said...

Well said Laurie :)