Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Addiction


I have an addictive personality. Most people wouldn't know it because I am also a control freak. So I get addicted to stuff, but I can usually control it.

You know I'm addicted to books, right?

Maybe you don't. But I am.

Before I started to write I read a book a day (almost) and still held down a demanding job and demanding man (if he played his cards right). Now I only read 1-2 books a week, most evenings being tied up with writing until 10-10.30 pm. But there is one woman I can not resist. Suzanne Brockmann. Read excerpt here...

So Suz has a new book coming out in August 15th. A terrible date as it happens. Because I'm in the UK.

I joined the Doubleday bookclub with the proviso they sell Suz'a books. But I checked the website and it isn't there yet:( I ordered a $25 Chapters voucher with airmile rewards so I could go buy it, but who knows when that'll be here. I ALMOST ordered it to arrive at my parents-in-law when we are back in the UK in August. I got to that last button stage in Amazon dot uk and stopped.

Tomorrow my addictive personality will be tested again when I think how good it would be to know the book is sitting waiting in Scotland. I can feel myself wavering already, just thinking about it...

17 comments:

  1. Some people might consider control an addiction. *gg*

    I have no will power - no wait, I have plenty of will power, it's won't power I lack. I would have had that book ordered in a New York minute. (And would someone please explain to me what a New York minute is?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely addicted to ordering books from Amazon. Since being off work I've been reading voraciously - such a luxury. Managed to kick start myself into doing some writing yesterday. So I must be getting better. Have a great holiday in the UK, Toni. Hope the good weather continues for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailey--it's quick is what it is ;-)
    Or slow in publishing!!

    Siobhan--enjoy the rest and relaxation--you deserve it!! I'm hoping the weather cools enough to enjoy it. And I hope the weddings have glorious sunshine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup - I'm addicted to books, too. I have so many that I doubt I'll ever get them all read. But I love to just look at them on the shelf. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. ORDER THE BOOK!!!! Life is too short and this is a worthy addiction. Besides, you DESERVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa--I know!!
    Meretta--just when I was being strong!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is on its way Toni so no worries,and by the way it is 30o on our patio just now(20.06hrs)so hope the good weather continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ... see? Pop to the rescue!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can you NOT be addicted to Troubleshooters? Now I've gone and got all interested again! :) Go click that button Toni - you should have it for the plane ride home! I'm reading "The Devil Wears Prada" right now to give myself a break from our genre - I read somewhere that it's the author's revenge novel as she worked as personal assistant to VOGUE'S editor-in-chief...now I can't wait to see the movie - I'll read just about anything so I guess I'm addicted too. (and I highly recommend Prada for lol stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, your Pop is a sweetheart, Toni!! Hugs to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh--Pop. What can I say? Best father-in-law in the world. Amazing.

    PS. I'll even let you beat me at cards this time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the best FIL ever! And yeah, I'm addicted to my favorit author's books too. So much so that I don't even WANT to know how much I spent on books last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Toni, when you've only got the one father-in-law,(so far) comparison is not difficult

    ReplyDelete
  14. *so far*
    do you know something I don't ??

    You are one of the best 'men among men' John.

    And I'm picky. :)

    PS. Any grief you want to send your son this morning IS allowed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:54 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:54 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete