Friday, July 07, 2006

Research

Writing is going slower than I want, but I'm still making headway. I've been doing an awful lot of research. Beginning of the week was Johannes Vermeer and his extraodinary painitings. These last couple of days it has been indepth examination of serial killers.

I have two books that I use a lot.
Practical Homicide Investigation, tactics, procedures and forensic techniques, by Vernon Geberth and Malicious Intent a writer's guide to how murderers, robbers, rapists and other criminals think, by Sean Mactire (part of the Howdunit Series by Writers Digest).

Neither make for a restful night's sleep. I have a lot more research to do--and the research builds as my plot builds.

I found out one aspect of Vermeer's background for instance, that lends itself very well to my story--he was famously forged in the 1930's by Hans Van Meegeren. The only reason the art establishment discovered their mistake was Van Meegeren was arrested and charged with collaborating with the Nazis because he sold Goring a painting--he admitted his deception and instead was charged with fraud. Vermeer's painting often have terrible provenance. Just what I need to make my story interesting :)

As far as the backstory for my killer goes...well that's for me to know and you to find out.

Blade Hunter progress:

21,419/80,000words

5 comments:

Rene said...

One of my most thumbed research books is "The Big Book of Filth." In my historicals, I don't want to use the wrong dirty words :) Plus, the book is a hoot.

Definitely an intriguing premise. I think you are onto something.

Scott said...

You should follow a link that Fringes gave me in the comments section of yesterdays post. It's an article by a man who writes a lot of mystery short stories. He lists his reference material at the end, which looks similar to what you show here. You might find something of use.

Toni Anderson said...

Rene--that is so funny!!

Scott--I will do. Thanks for the link.

Deb said...

Is that The Girl with the Pearl Earring? Good book, crap film - what's new?

Toni Anderson said...

:)