Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Warsworn

OK--when was the last time you fell in love with an author? It has been a while for me. And really, I have only genuinely fallen in love with the stories and writing of maybe a dozen romance authors, because, like the rest of you, I am as fussy as hell!

Before I read single title romances, I read fantasy. The reason being, in the UK it was hard to get the type of romances that I really like, but easy to find quality fantasy.

I cut my teeth on Orson Scott Card, Stephen Donaldson, David Eddings, Robert Jordan, but I left them behind when I discovered romance.

I picked up this book in the Post Office across the street (and being in North America the street is a six lane highway, however...) I didn't start it straight away because it is the second book in the series and I haven't read the first, but a week ago I got stuck in and totally fell in love with Elizabeth Vaughn. The book is fantasy, in that the people, place & time are conjured by the author, but not enough to confuse even the most traditional reader.

It is written in first person--I HATE first person LOL, but obviously Elizabeth knows what she's doing because it didn't bother me a bit here. I'm not going to spoil the plot just say I will go out and buy the first book now and gnaw my teeth waiting for 2007 when the last book comes out. My only hope is it is the last book. After that it would be a bit like reading Diana Gabaldon's books, which are wonderfully written but...

...well to keep the reader interested you have to torture your characters and there is only so much torture any Hero/heroine should have to go through!

I want them to enjoy their happy ever after, darn it!!

Blade Hunter Progress:
26,489/80,000 words
128/390 pages

12 comments:

  1. Too much torture and it begins to resemble Danielle Steel. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED "Warprize." Oddly enough, the book had all the elements I hate in romance novels. But for some reason they came together. I have "Warsworn" in my TBR and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this one comes very highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so you have read the Thomas Covenant series then? That was one of my first fantasy series I read, and it was heart breaking and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Thomas Covenant. I think I read those books so many times the pages fell out. I only let them off my keeper shelf when we emmigrated to Canada for the 2nd time. I haven't read the recent one though. I also loved the Gap series :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have never even seen these books! Am obviously quite deprived as the hero on the cover is right up my alley. :) I've never read fantasy, although does anyone remember the "Gor" series? I think that's what it was called. There was about 12-15 books in that one.."Tor" series? The women wore slave rings around their necks? Ringing any bells? That's it for me for fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I love finding new authors that you love. It's been awhile for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ha! A new author to try. Thanks for the tip, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laurie, doiesn't ring a bell. This isn't massively fantasy, and yet I can see editors saying, 'but this is fantasy'??

    Hi Shelli :)

    It's a goody!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to buy Warprize and I didn't. Now I wish I would've. lol I adore those covers.

    ReplyDelete