Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Gruffalo



Today we went to the theatre and took in a kids play. We went with my friend Karen, granny, four other adults and six children aged 6 through 1 year.

The play is an adaptation of one of Julia Donaldson's stories. I've read the book a thousand times and wondered how they'd turn a short story into a kid's length play. They used the basic story, added some songs and funny dialogue and the result was great entertainment for kids and adults alike.

Now that is something I couldn't do. Playwrights have their very own special medium that I don't think I can even begin to contemplate. It isn't really like a movie, it isn't like a book. It is storytelling in its most basic format and I do love that intimacy the actors have with the audience.

After that we all did Pizza Hut (in Glasgow) shopping, Asda, niece's fourth birthday party and a few other things. Now I need a rest.

I need a holiday from my holiday--oh yes, DS was up half the night and DH is trying to organize a camping stag 'do'.

Hectic hectic hectic :D

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Toni ... sounds like you're going to need time to decompress after an intense holiday like that.

    Sometimes the best part of going away is discovering how really good it is to be 'home'.

    Enjoy the rest of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have The Gruffalo! Sounds like something my girls would love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home sweet home--sounds wonderful :D

    No--we are having fun, but six little kids are hard to handle without those slow points. We just all went swimming--watching the rain and thinking of our men going up the nearest Munroe with a hangover and the stag night not half over yet :)

    ReplyDelete