Wednesday, August 23, 2006

St Andrews


On Monday I was privileged to see the inside of St Andrews' Police Station. My first time :D The police officer who showed me around gave me a grand tour (which he thought would be boring but for a writer was fascinating) and then we went for a coffee (Starbucks has invaded though they still don't have MacDonalds). I asked lots of questions about the structure of the police force and what happens during a murder. I think for my book idea I'll have to change the structure slightly because I want a detective based in St Andrews and CID are currently based in Cupar.

But that is generally better from a writer's perspective--more leeway to create a ficticious world and less chance of unwittingly insulting someone.

I'm very grateful to my police contact, he is a wonderfully supportive source of information and knowledge, and never tires of my dumb questions.

Then we visited the place where DH and I first met, 16 years ago would you believe. It feels like yesterday.

The marine lab has barely changed on the outside, but I wonder about the spirit of the place, when I was a student it had a vibrant party atmosphere--I guess that's what happens when you get old LOL! But it was great to see my old friends and see the world still turning in a special part of the world.

Oh I can't wait to write that story :)

Hope you're all well--I caught up blogging yesterday (most of the news). Have fun!!! Kick me if I missed something important :)

7 comments:

  1. How cool to have your own personal tour! Sounds like you're having a GREAT time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed catching up with you now I'm back home in Wales. My Italian server wouldn't let me on to your blog for some reason. Hope you're still enjoying the visit. Shame about the weather :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds way fun, Toni! I can't wait for you to write the book either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW! A tour of a Police Station. And a helpful police officer. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Meretta said :)

    Awesome that you could arrange a tour while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really doing it Toni. How many times have I wanted to speak with an officer or a surgeon, or some other kind of expert? Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys--nice to see you all! BTW I am having trouble with my email. I can read it, but not reply just now. I'll work on it tomorrow when I can catch my breath.

    ReplyDelete