Sunday, August 27, 2006

STAG???


I'm waiting for my man to return home. He's away after organising a Stag weekend on the banks of Loch Lomond near his parents' home. It is an idyllic spot on a good day. The weather however was not particularly good. Considering DH didn't pack any camping gear to come over from Canada he did remarkably well to scrounge up a couple of tents and sleeping bags. His wee brother gets married next weekend and this was the stag weekend he'd chosen over the usual pub, paintballing, stripper scene (although who knows what went on on the shoulders of Ben Lomond?).

Ben Lomond is the mountain above--the only Munroe I have ever bagged (that's what they call climbing the Munroes of Scotland). If I remember correctly, Munroes are Scottish mountains over 4000 feet. When I climbed it, ten years ago, I was dragged all the way up moaning and groaning. DH was telling me how good the view is from the top and I was telling him I liked it just fine from the bottom. However as I was passed by a 79 year old granmother I kicked my own butt and got up the hill.

It was gorgeous, but I still prefer the view from the bottom--maybe it is the painter in me?

8 comments:

  1. How pretty. I don't climb mountains. We have 8,000 footers behind my house. I take a car. Every winter we end up losing hikers because they decide they want to hike in the cold.

    I think the outdoors is great...As long as I'm inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, both pictures are lovely, but I like the one with the small cottage. And I've never climbed a peak or a mountain. I do good to get the 4 year old to walk through Wally-World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Sandra White really likes your mountains, Toni! ;)

    I can see why. They're most beautifest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even like to climb the handicap ramp outside our house.

    Beautiful pictures FBA - miss you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Bailey and Rene. And er, Toni, I don't wanna talk about mountains right now.

    Absolutely stunning photos, though. And I can see what you mean about being appealing to the painter's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I remember climbing part of the Cairngorms in Aviemore, it was so hot there were heat hazes - unbelievable in Scotland! I think I would have ditched the tent and squatted overnight in that lovely little cottage? Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh...how come I can't look out my front window and see a view like that??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These beautiful pictures remind me that I MUST visit Scotland again soon. My sister lives in Perthshire and I haven't been to see her in ages. Don't think I'll be fit enough to climb any mountains though. But I'd DEFINITELY love to walk beside a loch.

    ReplyDelete