Saturday, September 09, 2006

London Town

Hi guys, arrived back safely on Thursday night. Friday (yesterday) was the first day of school for DD, and DH went back to work. I built mechano with my son who'd had his birthday in the UK. Needless to say our luggage was mountainous, so was the laundry...

Hard to believe one week ago my littlest brother-in-law got married. The ceremony was lovely, the groom's speech had everyone crying and my husband's best man's speech was so funny everyone curled up laughing. The reception was in this beautiful old house next to the famous detox clinic 'the priory' in Richmond.

On the day before the wedding we went into London and hit the Natural History Museum (I'll put up photos next week). Because the kids were exhausted we took a river cruise down the Thames from Westminister to Tower Bridge and these are some of the sights we saw.

The London Eye--British Airways charge 13 pounds per person to ride this wheel. It takes 30 minutes to rotate all the way around and operates from about 8 am to 10 pm. Basically they make a fortune although I'm sure the views are amazing.

St Pauls was visible behind some riverside buildings. I visited the catherdral years ago with two school friends, Mark Wilmot and Kalpa Pesivariah. We went up to the whispering gallery and generally stared at this incredible structure designed by Sir Christopher Wren (who's buried there).



Then there is the Tower (Tower of London). This is the most amazing place with its Ravens and the Crown Jewels and history. My daughter wanted to take the jewels home with her but thankfully we didn't have time to pull off a robbery.





Next was the bridge--Tower Bridge. Just a beautiful piece of architecture that still works. Hard to see the detailing in these pictures but apparently they hold parties in the top bar that runs across the bridge. Not sure how I feel about that but I guess if you had enough wine you'd be fine ;-)

And the most beautiful building in London (In my opinion), Westminster, that houses the bell Big Ben--just lovely. They could never afford to build these incredible building nowadays, nor do many people have the skill. Makes you wonder about the whole concept of progress.


Visiting London even for a day trip was just great. To really see the city properly you'd need to live there for a year and despite my love of that city I wouldn't want to live there for long.

Did you know the actual city of London is only a square mile?

Ok--and a special message for a lurker I discovered...you know who you are, reveal yourself else some of the stories might come out ;-)

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, we have a lurker. :)

    Forgot to tell you I lurved the excerpt - I want more!

    Glad you're back. The pictures of London are wonderful. I plan to get there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D hello XXX

    Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pictures! Glad to hear the weddings were wonderful. :) SO glad you're back. :D

    And a lurker, hmmm? Come out, come out, whoever you are!

    Does London still have double decker buses? I want to ride on one. Must put that on my "things to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double Deckers abound and we did go on a couple, and the tube, and a boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, a mysterious lurker.
    The pictures are lovely. How'd you talk the DD out of the robbery?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to more pics :)

    Really pleased you're all home safe! And happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandy LOL--it took a distraction and some serious hustling ;-)

    Glad to be home Loreth. I missed you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you're home safe and sound

    great pics - happy b-day to DS and woohoo and the marital festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was stunned when I read the price on the ferris wheel. Holy crap, that's a lot of money. Heights make me nervous so I'm not tempted. I'd love to go to London, sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous. I've always wanted to visit London. Glad you had a nice visit.

    PS - More jealous you now are child-free. Lucky woman you!

    ReplyDelete