Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Zero-- Jess Walter

Last week I actually made it out to a Thin Air event.

I'm woman enough to admit that straight literature is not my thing, but this evening was stunning.

Out of the Wreckage is the title my friend Charlene gave the evening (strangely appropriate for the state of my house that night).

Linda Ghan, Rawi Hage, Madeleine Thien, Rachel Vigier and Jess Walter all did readings from their books. I guess I enjoyed these more because they were stories based on wars and conflict which affect me (and you too I would imagine) deeply. Each gave wonderful tidbits from their latest releases, but the guy I'd gone to see, Jess Walter was superb. Now I hate to be so base, but to start with he's a good looking guy. The photos on his website do not do him justice. I have friends like that, beautiful people who lose something when frozen in a photograph. He's very handsome, tall and lean.

Needless to say for that reason I didn't go chat to him afterwards :/

He started off with a poem about how mother's shouldn't wear thongs. It was hilarious. Then the more serious stuff and I have no doubt that despite his humor he is indeed a serious man. He was self-effacing, modest and spoke more about the authors who had shaped his desire to be a writer than he did about himself.

The Zero is supposedly a satire based on the events in NYC after 9/11. In all honesty I didn't realize America was ready for a satire. I'm not knocking Americans or America, but I really didn't think a satire would even get published south of the border. I'm British. Satire is like milk on cereals to Brits, but Americans seem much more sensitive about their nation and much more protective, at least at this moment in time. I'm not knocking it, just observing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what The Zero is all about. If it is any way near as articulate as its author, it'll be amazing...

and............... scroll down............





!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!*Happy Birthday Meretta *!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!

(P.S. Meretta, watch for the postie, I'm sharing something with you, you'll understand when it arrives ;-)

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Meretta. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks, thanks!

    And LOL - I forgot it was my birthday today -- it's zero dark buffalo right now and I'm up early 'cause I started thinking about American Title and couldn't sleep. All in all not a bad way to spend one's birthday.

    Will check the post 2-3x a day now, Toni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun evening. We're having a book festival next weekend here in town and I can't wait to go.

    Happy birthday, Meretta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it so base to observe a man's looks. I do understand why you stayed away though.

    As for the satire business, I think we love satire. Saturday Night Live is all about satire, as are a great many of our comedy shows. I'm probably more sensitive than most. When the space shuttle blew up, jokes circulated within the week about it. What color were the teachers eyes in the shuttle? Blue, one blew that way, the blew that way. Not funny, too raw. I'd be curious about this particular satire. 9/11 reshaped a lot of how we think, and continues to do so. I doubt I would find much humor in a satire about the deaths of those people. I would, however, enjoy satire on the political circus surrounding it, but I'm certain the satire only pokes at Bush and crew, leaving the democrats completely alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Scott :)--I don't think it just points to Bush. I think it deals with politiciains and politics of everything from the city hall to the police service, to family. I've just started reading it and I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Satire is satire, there will be some who will denounce it and others who will embrace it. A lot like the controversies around the 9/11 movies. It's been 5 years, so I don't think it will bother as much people as it would have 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete