Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Natural History Museum

This is the Natural History Museum in London. My husband had a longheld ambition of showing his kids this wonderful museum (he'd never got the chance to visit it himself so this was new for them, and a wonderful revisit for me). TNHM have a wonderful website and this baby--like most London Museums--is FREE!!!! The building is astounding and designed in the 1870s by Alfred Waterhouse. The driving force behind the need for this building was Richard Owen who is famous for annoucing the discovery of a whole new group of extinct reptiles, which he called the 'dinosaurs' (terrible lizards), and he was also famous for being opposed to a fellow scientist of the era, Charles Darwin (who BTW comes from near my hometown so don't knock him).

And isn't it funny how the world is still divided on that point? Just for the record, I believe in evolution. I am perfectly able to accept not everyone does, and that is their right. Enough said.

Can you see the tail end of the diplodocus? He was too big to fit in the camera shot so I bought postcards in their fabulous shop instead :) And then there was the carving on the walls. I was in heaven. Nature and art intertwined. You know I was a biologist, right? Maybe I still count as one? Not sure :)






And they had these wonderful moving, roaring creatures that were fabulous. Go visit Dino Jaws for another look.

I haven't even mentioned the exhibits. We saw maybe a 1/4 of the display in 3 hours. There are millions of samples and manuscripts that are never on dispay too. It is just massively huge and wonderfully presented. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Plus it isn't far from Harrods ;)

12 comments:

  1. ruby5512:20 am

    That museum looks great. I've never been to see it--and I should have. I guess I preferred to stay more in the downtown London area, although Earl's Court U station closest to my uncle's "executive flat" where I stayed for a few days one very hot spring, was, I believe not all that far from Chelsea.

    For most of my visits I concentrated more on outdoor visiting the 4 short visits I made to London. BTW, what is correct: GB or UK or both. I guess I like the GB because then I won't get it mixed up with UKR for Ukraine in my country designations.

    As for evolution, I believe in it but only for the latter part where things evolve in order to adapt to changing climates, etc. I believe there was a Creator that started all "life" going. And that's all I'll say.

    This must be quite an enormous building. Is it larger than the British Museum? I love the pictures you've got here. I picked up most of my fossils just north of Winnipeg. I still have a picture of my prof stretched out on the ground getting a close view at things in the rocks. I also got fossils in Germany from the Jura Mountains and its kin and from Mexico. Not far from here there is also a fertile area, though farther north we run into the (Pre?-)Cambrian Shield. My mind no longer wants to do research tonight.

    Well, I certainly know where to go the next time I get to London, GB. Too bad there isn't a magic teleporter between the two Londons (sigh).

    And if an aspiring writer already counts as a writer as everyone says, I'm sure you are still a biologist. I still consider myself a teacher. You never completely shed an interest--at least I never have. I'm sure your interest in biology is not that urgent any more. But you have your own group of budding biologists, maybe, there with you. Truth to tell, it was never my field. I loved languages, history, mathematics and physics.

    I was at Harrods. I thought I'd buy some small item. But even the smallest items I liked were to expensive.

    But I must have a look at the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby--I use UK, mainly because that tends to be the option on internet sites!! I'd use GB in Europe.

    I love fossils. We have a fossil fish from our honeymoon, and I grew up near Wenlock Edge, where my brother was always fossicking. (?)

    I'm not sure about the scale of it--I think it is a similar size to the British Museum. It is right next toe the V&A, which is slightly smaller I think.

    I went to Harrods in 1987(ish), with 2 school friends. Mark Wilmot knocked over a golf display. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, lovely pictures, Toni. I showed them to DDs and they are quite keen to go visit. Me too! It's looks great and it seems you could spend days there, hmmm?

    DH and I did the Louvre in an afternoon. NOT. ENOUGH. TIME. Definitely not. We missed so much.

    Off to London! Soon. I hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Meretta--you got to the Louvre but missed the Eiffel Tower? That is almost impossible :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love natural history museums. One reason I haven't planned a trip to London is because I know I'll need the energy for it. I've been to the Smithsonians in Washington D.C. which can really tire you out as well. And Harrod's? Do they take Visa? That would take me all day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, my 10 year old listed Darwin as someone he admires most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rene--I'm impressed. Your 10 year old is pretty impressive to know who Charlie was :)

    Harrods take everything. I pity the homeless guy who lives outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really really REALLY need to get back to London soon. My daughter would ADORE this museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh* One of these days I'll get to visit places outside the US. I hope. The pictures are leovely, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! It looks fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone interested, a complete archive of Darwin's work, taken from microflim of the originals that were stolen back in the fifties, went on line this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was FOGGY!

    LOL. I love that story. I'll have to post it on my blog soon. :D

    ReplyDelete