Friday, October 06, 2006

Thanksgiving

Haven't been on the internet much this week. DH has been working like a dog. He's been in at work at 2 am or 5 am all week. That means I get to do everything with the kids which kind of wears you down as the end of the week approaches. Not that I'm complaining--life's too short to moan about everything--and I'm not the one getting up in the wee hours of the morning.

So--today I realized DH invited 6 people to Thanksgiving on Sunday. Ahem. That'll make 10 altogether, though half of them are little and so are less bothered by the culinary delights served in the Anderson household. They might notice the thick clouds of dog hair floating around the ground floor as both mutts are molting and I haven't vaccuumed or mopped for a week. I have been too busy (hang my head in shame).

Didn't I mention I don't do roasts???

So what the heck do people eat for Thanksgiving? I'm pretty much assuming the same sort of meal we'd eat back in the UK for Easter. Turkey, roast spuds, and veggies. Followed by a traditional pumpkin pie and apple pie because DH hates pumpkin. Actually, as I am making the pumpkin pie from scratch, I'd better make a BIG apple pie just in case :)

The good news is DH cooks roasts (yum yum).

I also just bought some jalapeno pepper jelly which I'm going to spread over some warm brie--and maybe I'll get a shrimp ring because I love shrimp. I figure Thanksgiving here is all about food--so I'm trying :)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got the menu well under control, Toni. In our family, we do mashed potatoes instead of roasted though. I personally prefer boiled, but nobody listens to me. ;)

    My brother is our pie maker. Fabulous job he does too.

    Have fun with your guests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend. I can't believe it's come around again already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have that many mouths to feed, a big fat turkey is just what is needed. I think you have the right idea. Whatever you serve, I'm sure everyone will be just fine with it.

    Sorry I haven't been around as much. I'm really cranking up the efforts for a new novel. To say I'm excited is an understatement. I think I'm on to something here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meretta--I liked mashed and boiled--so does Gary, but one of our guests is bringing a fancy potato dish and we both NEED roasted spuds :)

    Diane--time is flying by. So scary.

    Scott--I'm so glad you're inspired and writing, that's what it is all about!! I haven't been about much, just dropping in to check out my pals and not always leaving a trail. But I'm thinking of everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we have turkey and apple pie in our house. My family doesn't like pumpkin---or pretty much any other type of pie. Have a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I told you what the collective family has here when we celebrae Thanksgiving together, your pants wouldn't fit. But, if it's just us, we do a ham, with scalloped potatoes, green beans, and all the other stuff including a a chocolate pie. You sound like you have everything under control, enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arghhhh - poor DH had to endure my pumpkin when when I was getting the urge to make it, lol...... I will by pass the pud and do Malt next time promise. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb--he'll survive LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete