Monday, January 01, 2007

I LOVE NORA


Well the New Year celebrations are over for another year and Day 1 brought a lovely sledding expedition and good friends visiting.

My holiday has been filled with reading. Craft books (thank you, Kathy) and catching up with some Nora/JD Robb.

I think I love Nora. Again.

How many people here think Nora shold give up, move over and give the rest of us a chance? Or just take more holidays?
I don't. Not just covering my behind (oversized after the holidays thanks very much for asking) in case I ever bump into her at 5 am on a treadmill at some romance writers conference--honest ;) She has given so much to the romance genre, has pushed back so many boundaries, peeled away at so many markets and made the world fall in love with romance. It is OK to love Nora--unlike Danielle Steele, whom it is uncool to love. I don't know why. It's a fact.

I don't like all Nora's books and that is cool too. She writes light and fluffy and she writes dark and hard. I like the dark and hard stuff best. Angels Fall was an excellent read even though I guessed the bad guy straight away. To be honest I don't know the last time I didn't guess the villain in a book and that bothers me. Am I unusually perceptive (insert crazy giggle)? Or do I just understand the set up of a basic mystery? And if I intuitively understand the set up, can I work that to my advantage while writing, or will that decrease the eventual payoff for the reader?

All interesting questions that need to be investigated. Hoping to get some writing done tomorrow. DD home for another week so I might be deluding myself, but I'll certainly give it a go as she watches 'High School Musical' which she got for Christmas and practises her song routines :)

10 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I've never read Nora. I have read JD Robb, but never got into Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her light and fluffy - the Irish trilogy is my favorite. I saw in some romance writing book that Danielle is referred to as a soap opera, not a romance. Apt description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge fan of either, but Nora had an interesting interview in one of the recent issues of Writer's Digest. If it makes you feel any better, she's insecure, worries a lot about her latest book (whichever one is newest) not being good enough, is afraid of disappointing readers, etc.
    So, write on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rene--I'm amazed :)

    Bails--hmmm... I like some light and fluffy. Mostly dark :) And when I was a teenager/20s, Danielle was the closest Brits got to romance except for Mills & Boon. We had that huge gap inbetween so many of us read DS out of desperation and some of her books are OK. But I haven't read any since I was reborn into romance ;)

    coolshoes--LOL. I think Nora is an amazing woman and aim to write on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just starting my first Nora book - Jewels of the Sun - and I'm really enjoying it. I plan to get the rest of the books in the Gallagher series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Nora Roberts, but I don't like JD Robb, isn't that weird??? LOL

    I just could never get into her new ones.

    The Irish Trilogy and the Key Trilogy were my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Blue Smoke and have her early category romances, the O'Hara series and the Donovan's. I also like her writing as JD Robb, as a matter of fact, I am getting where those are the only books of hers that I read. But, have to admit, she has done a lot to make romance reading "accepible" in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra - that's not so weird, my SIL loves Jayne Ann Krentz but hates Amanda Quick even though they are the same person. It has to do with the fact that she doesn't like Regencies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire Nora for so many reasons beyond just her writing. Awesome lady and advocate for the romance genre in general.

    Couldn't get into Angels Fall, though. My most recent favorite of hers is Nothern Lights, along with
    the three sisters/witches island trilogy.

    Also loved River's End along with other old-time favorites Sanctuary, and The Reef.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a Nora book. Keep meaning to, but I've got so many great books lined up that it may be a very long time before I get around to it. But I love dark stories, so maybe I should bump her up.

    ReplyDelete