Thursday, January 25, 2007

I love this bar--Toby Keith


Anyone heard Toby Keith's song, 'I love this bar' ? I don't know why but it strikes a chord with me :) Have you ever had a place where 'everybody knows your name'? I have. Actually thinking about it I've had two or three, but one place really sticks in my mind.

Kates Bar. St Andrews. 1989-1991. It now belongs to some chain, Pickle Firkin or something awful, but when I first started my PhD it was Kates and all my friends went there and I knew every barman in the place. And if you're interested, it sat slam bang at the end of the street where Prince William stayed (the worst kept secret in the history of Fife secrets).

One of the barmen worked in my lab--six foot four of surfer muscle with the sort of attitude that used to make me want to kill him half the time. Another story. At least four of the other guys worked in the Gatty or the Bute Medical building--PhD students. All now leaders in their field--oh the tales I could tell :)

There was only one guy I didn't know well and he was my friend Allan's housemate, a taciturn fellow called Norrie who I eventually got a grunt out of. Another guy, I introduced to his wife--they got engaged after six weeks of meeting each other (in my bedroom no less). So needless to say I could walk into this bar and despite being five foot one I could get served over the heads of countless others and felt very much at home in this haven.

Unlike where DH worked...

Ever had a place like that? Ever felt a pub was a home away from home?

6 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

Yes - back in college. And then when I hit the after-college years, there was another one that I became very familiar with. :-)

Loreth Anne White said...

Ah yes, I knew a place like that once -- the Brass Bell. I worked there for many years, and it's where I met my husband-to-be. I knew every local by name, and they me.

Bailey Stewart said...

Doesn't look like somebody is blog breaking to me ... :)

Nope, never spent that much time in a pub, bar or drinking establishment.

Toni Anderson said...

Hey, Loreth is allowed a tiny break to read about my trials and tribs :)

Glad I'm not the only one :D And have any of you decided about my spam? Should it stay or go? Is it even spam?

kb said...

Ahh so many memories, where are they now.

Toni Anderson said...

kb--I know!!!!