Friday, February 23, 2007

Prince Harry

Prince Harry is to commence his first tour of duty in Iraq. In fact he said if he was left behind when the Household Cavalry were sent into Iraq he'd resign his commission.

Brave man.

The BBC had an interesting article on this, (link), pointing out the tradition of the British Royal family serving in the military and also the fact none of the current British government has a child over there. It is an interesting consideration.

Personally, I am very proud of the British troops. My dad was a paratrooper, my grandads and granny all served during WWII, not to mention various other relatives I never met because they fought and died. Some wars are just, most are a waste. History will define this current conflict, but at least we've learned not to take the mistakes out on our soldiers.

And I think Harry is right to go, even if he is third in line to the throne. What message would it send otherwise? How could he ever feel like a real soldier/man if he hid behind his royal status and pen pushed for Britain?

I've been thinking recently about what makes a fictional hero, 'heroic'. One thing is being prepared to face a challenge, to face danger. To be brave. I figure, given a few years, Harry will have all the characteristics to make a great fictional hero.

Here's hoping there is peace in the region soon and every parent can see their children safely home.

6 comments:

  1. Both Harry and William are their mother's sons. It could be the second son syndrome, as Andrew also did his own tour of duty during a conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, Toni. I totally support the soldiers. They are the ones putting their lives on the line, being away from their loved ones. May they all come home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, I remember Andrew going to the Falklands. I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot too :)

    Stacy~ here's wishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's just fine that Harry wants to go to Iraq. And I pray this conflict ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was pretty impressive and said alot about Harry.

    ReplyDelete