Sunday, March 11, 2007

Talladega Nights

Well it was DH's turn to choose the movie on Friday night so we ended up with Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

What a stoo-pid movie. I tried hard not to like it, it is so dumb, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It was like a cross between The Dukes of Hazard/Monty Python/the Hillbillies/My Name is Earl.

Stoo-pid. LOL.

I've never seen a Will Ferrell movie before. I really didn't expect to like it--obviously I have delusions of intellectualism because I also love all the Die Hard movies, the original Pink Panther movies, Planes, Trains and Automobiles. etc., etc.

And Sacha Baron Cohen, gawd, he just makes me want to curl up.

So, it seems I'm pretty easy when it comes to movies, LOL.

BUT... what is it with NASCAR? I know I know, I'm gonna get thumped, but really, if you grow up with the thrill and chill of Formula 1, why would going round and round in circles appeal? Me and DH just looked at the TV with consternation--it's like a whole bunch of mice spinning on a wheel. So they go fast. So what?

11 comments:

  1. I don't know the appeal of Nascar. My 4yr. old (5 on tues.) ADORES Nascar. I think it has something to do wtiht the fact that the drivers go 185 mph and then can crash. And the commercials are funny too. *g*
    So, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby was funny, huh? I'm not a big Will Farell fan, but I may give it a shot.
    Wanted to let you know Elizabeth Vaughn is going to be guest blogging at squawkradio.com this monday. She'll be answering questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't *stand* Will Ferrell! Lol! The only one of his recent movies I want to see is the one where he hear's a female's voice in his head and he has to find out who she is because she's orchestrating his death - it's all because a female author is writing a book that's exactly like his life - and I can't remember the name of the stoo-pid (I like that, Toni *smile*) movie! Glad you liked Talledaga Nights though - NASCAR doesn't interest me either although dh will watch all the Indie races. Too boring for me! :) Maybe if my ds begs to see Talledaga I'll pick it up - he likes the "uniform" as he calls it, on the front cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Laurie -- STRANGER THAN FICTION?

    I think I have to see that one. My eldest child said the Emma Thompson character reminded her of me. She said 'oh, like I could so see my mom doing that.' Which now has me incredibly worried. What did she do? :-/ See -- I am compelled to view this movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't Will Ferrell a giant elf? (In Elf.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a Will Ferrell fan either. Stranger Than Fiction, huh? Never heard of it.

    I'm not a NASCAR fan either, but the crashes can be exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandy--thanks for the info, I will be there!!

    Stranger than fiction looks good--but I love Emma Thompson.

    See--the only thing people want is for people to crash? Isn't that kind of sick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. except for kids--they just like the sounds and speed and color :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to pick Anchorman over Talladega Nights. I really wanted to like this movie, but it was too stupid for me to watch. I fast-forwarded through the whole scene in the bar when he first meets the Frenchman and finally shut it off in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED Talledega Nights. I loved the absolute stupidity of it. I almost went into convulsions during the "saying grace" scene. I like Will Ferrell and I liked "Anchorman" as well.

    I don't understand the appeal of NASCAR either, which is blasphemy around here. The California Speedway is about 15 miles from my house. Its really big around here. Drag racing I understand and it doesn't take 5 hours to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't want to like this movie, either, but I laughed out loud a bunch. And my 4th grade class quotes it all the time, and we all crack up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't want to like this movie, either, but I laughed out loud a bunch. And my 4th grade class quotes it all the time, and we all crack up.

    ReplyDelete