Monday, March 12, 2007

A Thousand Tomorrows by Karen Kingsbury

I read this book last night. I was given it in my freeby bag in Reno, but because it was touted as an inspirational I hadn't been in the mood. It isn't that I need sex in books, I just have a thing about the thought of reading an 'inspirational'. I'm not sure why I'm uncomfortable with the idea. I'm religious enough, we got married in church, our babies are christened, but I don't have masses of time for churches as a whole.

But... obviously I was missing the point of 'inspirational'. There is no religion in this book, just a wonderful love story (and I'd class this as a love story, not a romance, because of the ending). The writing is excellent and KK wove a very emotional story that made me cry (and I'm seriously tough, *cough*).

The only complaint I have is it needs a horse on the cover. It's a book about cowboys and rodeo and people coping with illness and the bitterness children feel when a parent leaves. All in all, an excellent read. But no horse on the cover. And no sex :)

11 comments:

  1. Ah, now I know why I don't read inspirationals....no horse on the cover LOL. Just kidding.

    I really don't know why, I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My work pc isn't letting me see the picture. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL--it was good. There was attraction and desire and kisses. XXX

    Diane--really? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably puke after a few chapters. I'm a tough critic lately, recognizing my membership in the please-me-now society. I've been known to put a book down after a paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you would for sure Scott. It is all about rage and how a boy deals with his rage when his father leaves him. But I couldn't say for sure whether you'd give it a go/ and or enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see the picture either, but I'll go look it up.

    Glad to hear you liked it, Toni. I've added it to my must be read list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird, I can't see the pic either! I'll check it out too, I've heard Karen Kingsbury is a dynamite writer. So glad you liked the book! There's been a big "turnaround" in the inspirational market, and it's for the better. (not that I'm pubbed in it, but I do read them, along with secular books). Eg., check my archives for post about Ted Dekker - inspirational author who writes the most awesome thrillers around!
    I need to see Karen's cover to figure out why it needs a horse on it! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK I changed the picture around. Maybe this will work? Laurie, I know you read inspirational so that is one of the reasons I gave it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see the cover now! Very pretty and yes, it could use a horse. Or two. Or herd. Ok. Not a herd. That would be overkill.

    I think I need more tea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see the pic now too.

    ReplyDelete