Thursday, April 05, 2007

Happy Easter



Aren't they gorgeous? Easter eggs, crafted for the Romanovs by Peter Carl Faberge--you won't find these babies in Walmart ;)

The tradition began in 1884, as a celebration of Easter (the most important feast of the Russian Orthodox church). The first was a gift to Czar Alexander III, but his wife (Czarina Maria) liked it so much it became a traditional present for her (which seems to be perfectly logical to me :)

The eggs always had a surprise tucked inside--like a miniature crown or a ruby. And quite a few of the imperial eggs are still unaccounted for, twelve or so I think.

My mother's dream would be to unearth one of these babies and sell it on ebay for a million ;)

Can anyone remember who wrote a bunch of great historical romances based in Imperial Russia? Was it Julie Garwood? Must investigate.

Anyway, Happy Easter if you celebrate it, I'm taking a few days off blogging, although I hope to pop around and visit. Have fun. Don't let me forget to get the turkey out of the freezer on Friday ;)

11 comments:

  1. Imagine having such a fabulous tradition? It sure beats getting a Laura Secord egg! They are so beautiful - I'd be happy to own an imitation one.

    Have a good Easter weekend, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But where'd they find eggs big enough to boil? LOL

    They are absolutely beautiful.

    Have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool - I love the little surpises inside, and wasn't there a trick to finding out how they opened, too? I dig stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, these are beautiful. My mom likes things like this. Teacups, too. Especially ones from Russia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just GORGEOUS. I'm headed out to visit the family, so have a great Easter, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are without a doubt, absolutely gorgeous! I saw a documentary on Fabrege on tv not too long ago. He was a genius!
    Happy Easter, early!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter, Toni. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter!

    I remember reading a romance novel about Gregory Orlov, but I don't remember who wrote it. I do remember it was a man who wrote under a woman's name, and it was a LONG time ago, after the mini series Young Catherine came out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Russian Easter eggs are fab. Have a lovely weekend, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter, Toni.

    I prefer the chocolate eggs myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting! I've always been intrigued by Anastasia...

    ReplyDelete