Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Out of Tears

I'm starting a new wip. This is something I've had in mind for about a year--maybe more and I've been building up the courage to write it. I'm planning three books, although obviously I'm concentrating on the first book to see if the characters and storyline will fly. These are going to be romantic mysteries/suspense with an American heroine, marine biologist Susie Cooper and a British detective, Nick Archer.

Sound okay so far?

And I know I go on a bit sometimes about having visuals for appearances and knowing what their houses look like and what they drive etc, but maybe I've never pointed out that these things all click into place after I have a clear internal image of my characters. I know their backgrounds, I know what they're hiding. I know my heroine is running from her past. And I know my hero doesn't like other people keeping secrets even though his own are so safely guarded not even his best friend knows the truth.

One of the main themes of this story is that nothing is quite the way it seems on the surface--and did I mention octopi? Boy, good job I love research :) And I'm using a lot of my personal knowledge in this book, the location (East Fife, University of St Andrews, Gatty Marine Lab), and for the police work I have a wonderful contact in St Andrews, although I'm bending the truth deliberately, as they don't have detectives based in St Andrews. So now I just have to make sure I don't accidentally write one of my former colleagues into a role they wouldn't like--and believe me truth is stranger than fiction. And I need to make sure there's plenty of ice cream, ask anyone who's ever been to St Andrews about the ice cream :) And diving, there's going to some serious diving (cough). And check out the transportation... Boy, I wish I was my characters. Except for that dead body that turns up, and the attempt on my heroine's life, and the lecturing, *shudder*.

There is plenty of stuff I don't know about though--American Presidential campaigns. The Secret Service. Exactly how I'm going to kill my first victim...

Can you tell I'm excited?






15 comments:

  1. Excitement is gooood!!! Go Toni!!!

    PS -- looking at that last pic, did I mention they've been screening Sharpe on the History channel??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your visuals. Laura Linney is beautiful and she's the perfect foil for Sean Bean. Now if they were in a movie together....a screenplay by Toni Anderson perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to let Sean Bean keep his Sheffield accent? And where do you store all of these visuals? On a peg board? Or do you use software? I've never used visuals until I've been able to store them in my new software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean Bean - I love Sean Bean!

    Diane - I don't know about Toni, but I make a collage on posterboard that I tack up where I can see it while I write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loreth--no!! You didn't say and I didn't know :( Must check it out. Have you watched it? I've seen all except for the last one or two. I love them :)

    Stacy~ ah yes, dream of getting my hands on them in a screen play :)

    Diane--yes, I am :) The trouble is even though it is set in Scotland I have such a love of his voice I can't help it :)

    I store my visuals on the computer and I print them out and plaster my cupboard (desk) with them. And when I move on I put all my visuals in a box to pull out if I need to revise. I also add all my maps/notes to the box.

    Bails, I love him too :) LOL. I have nowhere to put the poster board, but because of my set up the entire inside of my cupbaord gets covered. One day I'll have an office with a view :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. That's a MINI COOPER S convertible and a Triumph Truxton motorbike :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting, and the characters will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can feel your excitement and wow, this is a book I would definitely want to read!

    BTW - Sean Bean is incredibly sexy in that pic. YUM>

    ReplyDelete
  9. You visuals are fantastic.
    And your new WIP also sounds great. Can't wait for it to be available.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) Well I hope they are and it is... Start writing tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds fab. Great car and bike too - will they be sampling any 'Harolds' (is that the right beer?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on starting fresh. I love your characters and concept!

    And I love Mini Coopers. I want one. Until the day arrives that I drive my own, I'll live vicariously through your heroine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb--I need to check out the beer situation. Not sure if they still make Harolds/Arolds? DH is in Scotland right now and doing research ;)

    Meretta--I want one too :) And environmentally friendly one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your excitement sounds contagious! I love it that you share your characters and visuals with your "readers". Love Sean Bean too. He can certainly pass for a cop, although usually he's a terrorist or criminal. This is one book I'll definitely be reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laurie, I'm used to Sean Bean being a hero because of Sharpe and a few other things he's been in. He's done lots of Shakespeare too :)

    ReplyDelete