Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sean's morphed into Nick

The interesting thing about my Sean Bean pictures is when I look at them I think 'Nick' as in my current hero, Nick Archer, and not Sean Bean or even Richard Sharpe.

BTW if you have never seen Sharpe you are seriously missing out on a fabulous action drama. It has everything in it: war, honor, idiocy, romance, intrigue, spies, tragedy, lust, humor, camaraderie, sweeping landscapes and a great deal of historical accuracy (except for the fact Sharpe never existed).

I had a great writing day yesterday. I'm on page 228 of the wip (48,621 words) and the whole storyline is crystallizing for me although my heroine isn't quite there yet.

I've noticed a large absence of 'dads' in my writing, which is weird especially as my own dad is alive and well back home, and there was no shortage of other male relatives growing up (brother, cousins, grandads, great grandad, uncles, great uncles). So why the lack of parentage for my protagonists and antagonists?

My mother says I'm exactly like my dad... maybe I can't stand the idea of writing myself into a story.

Or maybe it is easy to recognize the importance of a father in a person's life and how the absence of a father can create such a strong impact? I really don't know. When I'm rich and famous I'll discuss it with me dad on Oprah *snort*.


9 comments:

Stacy~ said...

I love this picture of Sean - he's seriously sexy in this one.

WTG on all the writing. Music to my ears :)

Hmmm, interesting on the "dad" thing. Maybe if your dad wasn't here, you'd consciously be thinking of him more? I don't know, I'm not an expert. Maybe the stories you've been telling just don't have a need to always have a father, but you've got other strong male figures present, and that works too. Whatever - it's 6am and I'm tired LOL.

Rene said...

Good job on the writing.

My current WIP includes the heroine's father although he isn't a significant character. Her mother is, part of the story is her relationship with her mom. I have another WIP where the hero's dad is kind of a villian. More often than not, however, my heroe and heroines are alone in the world or at least parentless. I think the sense of loss and yearning is increased in my characters if they don't have family.

Melissa Marsh said...

I love the Sharpe movies. I *think* I've watched all of them, even the brand new one!

Toni Anderson said...

Melissa--I haven't seen the last one :( grump.

Dru said...

Congrats on the word count on your WIP.

Now I know who Sean Bean is. I knew he looked familiar. He was in National Treasure.

Loreth Anne White said...

Hah -- I just realized reading this how big a role dads play in my stories.

My last three books -- including my WIP, all have 'dad issues'. Very different issues, but the father spectre does loom large in comparison to the mother issues. Maybe this is because I lost my own dad at age 16.
Interesting thought, Toni ... you'll have to mention me on Opra :)

Toni Anderson said...

Loreth--it is weird seeing themes going through books. Hemmingway all over again :)

Kelly said...

I love the Sharpe series. I heard there is a new Sharpe movie coming out.

And I do the same thing. When I look at pictures I've picked for my characters, I don't think of them as the actual individual they are, I see my characters.

Although when I see the pictures you keep posting of Sean, mostly I just drool and start talking gibberish.

Laurie said...

Way to go on the word count! I have a heroine with dad issues - being abandoned at age 12. I had a step-father in one WIP too. I agree that father issues seem more powerful than mother issues. Maybe because we're all expected to love dear ol' Mom? :)