Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Badlands--Alberta

It took us about 13 hours to drive to Dinosaur Provincial Park. Mile upon mile of flat prairie landscape across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and finally Alberta. Alberta also had oil wells--lots and lots of oil wells, pumping up and down like alien beings sucking the land dry.

It was big sky all the way.

So, we were driving along this fertile prairie farmland and all of a sudden the land drops away into dry riverbed canyons, lined with cottonwoods and surrounded by these wildly carved sandstone sculptures.

A desert, no less, full of scorpions, rattlers, coyotes and cacti (what on earth do they do in the winter?). Amazing--totally and utterly amazing. Dinosaur fossils were discovered here in the 1800s and are constantly being washed down the coulees every year.

And we found some :)...




A Hadrosaur's articulated leg bone has been left for possible future excavation...

And my daughter and I found two teeth. One was a Hadrosaur (duckbilled dinosaur) and the other was a... I forget :(






















And then after two nights of listening to the coyotes howl we headed north to The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller past some magnificence Hoodoos. I'll leave that for another day...


5 comments:

  1. I love the Hoodoos. They are so beautiful. And coyotes? I miss the coyotes. Luckily for me, NWT has 'big sky' otherwise I'd really be homesick!

    And congratulations to the Anderson Paleontologists! Those are big finds!

    Looking forward to your Tyrell pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Meretta, I love your new picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures! We wish we could've gotten over to the Badlands, Calgary, etc. while we were in SK, but Paul never had enough time off. Having those teeth will be a real souvenir. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, we didn't keep them. Never even picked them up.

    I'm so conscientious I could hate myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAY cool! I love dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete